BBO Discussion Forums: Telling a lie with my second bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Telling a lie with my second bid

#21 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-26, 17:59

Rebidding a new suit below 2 of opener's after a 2 level response, e.g. 1s-2c-2d is played as forcing (but requiring no extras) above perma-beginner level. As you can rebid in a forcing manner, you don't need to jump, so 3d can be used for something else, normally a splinter for clubs.

Rebidding in a higher ranking suit is indeed a reverse, showing 16+ (you shouldn't open at the 2 level just because you have 20 points, even if you are playing strongg 2s). Reversing opposite a 1 level response is forcing. Reversing opposite a 2 level response is forcing to game.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-26, 19:38

View Postakwoo, on 2015-January-26, 12:41, said:

This is a sign that your partner can't understand the difference between the sequences 1-2-2 and 1-2-2.

This is a serious problem for someone who is experienced. It means their bridge intelligence is seriously lacking. You should get a new partner as soon as possible.

It may not be their bridge intelligence. A very prominent London teacher teaches beginners to reverse without extra values, or so I have heard. Presumably the idea is that after one too many times getting too high on a partscore the students will work out the principle on their own. With a little luck your partner may change his thinking after a few disasters.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-26, 20:49

View PostVampyr, on 2015-January-26, 19:38, said:

It may not be their bridge intelligence. A very prominent London teacher teaches beginners to reverse without extra values, or so I have heard. Presumably the idea is that after one too many times getting too high on a partscore the students will work out the principle on their own. With a little luck your partner may change his thinking after a few disasters.

For someone who is experienced, it means their bridge intelligence is lacking.

I would not say the same thing for someone who is not experienced.

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-27, 00:45

Keithus has said that he is a beginner, and that partner is "more experienced". This does not mean that the partner is what would be thought of as an experienced player.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-27, 01:29

It also is worth being aware of that in a number of other systems, a second bid in a higher suit at the 2 level after partner makes a 2/1 bid does not show extra values. That doesn't effect what is right/normal in Acol (about which I know very little and would trust the thread) - but it does mean that someone (OP, the partner, the person who told the partner) might have been describing a different bidding system where that sort of auction is just shape showing. So that might have lead to some of the issue.

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-January-27, 10:21

View PostMbodell, on 2015-January-27, 01:29, said:

It also is worth being aware of that in a number of other systems, a second bid in a higher suit at the 2 level after partner makes a 2/1 bid does not show extra values.

A number of other systems? It is a style if 2/1 is GF, but it is unlikely for 2/1GF to be the first system a player in an Acol-playing country learns.

#27 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-27, 10:29

As Wank says, it is only when responder is 3145 and about 10 points that a 2 rebid leads to a silly 2 contract, and it's not like a 2 rebid works great opposite that hand either as you will be playing 3 in a 3-4 fit. So while I have a lot of sympathy for avoiding bidding lousy 5-card suits twice, I don't think it is much of an issue on this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-27, 15:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-January-27, 10:29, said:

As Wank says, it is only when responder is 3145 and about 10 points that a 2 rebid leads to a silly 2 contract, and it's not like a 2 rebid works great opposite that hand either as you will be playing 3 in a 3-4 fit. So while I have a lot of sympathy for avoiding bidding lousy 5-card suits twice, I don't think it is much of an issue on this hand.
With a 10 count and that shape I will pull 2H to 2N. May regret it when opener turns up with a 6th H. With a 9 count and that shape I will respond 1N. May regret it when opener turns up with a 16 count. The end result may work out poorly, but I don't expect it to be a "silly .... contract".
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-February-18, 06:26

View Postkeithhus, on 2015-January-26, 07:32, said:

Hello everyone,
I am a beginner and was taught similarly - I.e. To bid a higher suit next time round would mean 16 points. However, my current partner (more experienced), tells me to bid up the line and to jump if I have 16 points. I am doing as I am told but feel we are going too high with this approach . Comments would be appreciated.

Hi keith, I am not sure if you mean the immediate response (1 - 3) should be a jump with 16 or Opener's rebid (1 - 1; 3). I suspect the latter auction as this is quite often played as 16+ in certain circles, mainly because they do not understand how to cope with the 2 rebid being wide-ranging. I have played this way myself in the past as a compromise. You are right that it is not ideal though.

The basic theoretical point is that you have 3 hand types you want to describe (weak, extras, GF) but only 2 rebids (simple, jump). Thus it makes sense to use the cheaper call to show 2 hand types and the higher one to show the remaining type. With the wide-ranging rebid though, you do need to understand where the brakes in the system are and how you can show the hand with extras in the later auction. When you start playing with better partners they will be able to show you these things - or you can just ask us here on BBF. In the meantime, stick with what your partner says when playing together as a bad agreement is still better than none at all. Just be aware that this will likely change later on.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users