Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Survivor Tournaments

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-22, 11:57

I have been trying to figure out how the survivor tourneys function without a lot of success. I ran one and set it at 50% cut and 16 boards, thinking the cuts would go at 8 hands 12 hands 14 hands and the final. Fast. Well, no, the first cut was at 4 hands and then not another cut was made at all. So I asked BBO Help and was told the cut rate was way too high, the number of boards too low and to have an even number of tables and more of them. (??!) Ok So tried again with 20 boards and a 20% cut. After 4 hands the first cut was made and then not another until very close to the end, I think it was around board 16 out of 20.

Now to be sure we had I think 15 tables (this was a couple of weeks ago, so don't remember exact fetails) and I've been trying to research it on the web with no success at all. Is there a required number of tables to run a survivor tourney and if so how many tables would that be? Why is the cut made made after 4 boards if no more cuts are going to be made for another dozen hands? Is there some secret to these things I'm missing? They seemed to be well received in spite of behaving in an unexpected fashion, but it would be nice to know what the actual set up is, to be prepared for what is actually going to happen instead of what I expect to happen.

#2 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-22, 13:15

Hi Onoway,

I cant tell you 100 % sure about the calculation but what I can tell you from experience is ...

1) First cut takes place after round 2 when running tourneys with 2 boards per round. I guess that is independent from number of boards per round but not sure. But I will check in a couple of minutes if I am right.

2) If a player is disconnected at the end of the round this pair will be cut at the end of the round (might be round 1 or any other). Additional the pair with the worst result will be cut too as you need an equal number of pairs to run the tourney

3) When you set your cut to 15 % (what I found reasonable for tourneys with 5x2 boards) the first cut will take place at round 3. 15 % of the number of tables will be cut then. So start with 20 tables and 3 will be cut. Next round with 17 remaining tables there will only two tables be cut and so on. The more rounds you have the smaller the number of cut tables will become.

4) Always try to replace red ones at the end of the round if you like to avoid discussions like - "why did you kick me out you unfriendly TD". But no need to replace two reds, they will just be cut.

5) Survivals are always clocked and you have to give enough time for all to finish the board. Else you will find players stalling to survive. I found it feasible to set the time to 7 minutes per board but adjusting after 6 starting from end of round 2 when playing 2 boards per round. With one board per round you better set the clock to 8 minutes to have time enough to adjust boards before the round ends.

6) When you have a small number of tables I increase the cut to make it happen.

7) When an odd number of pairs registered one pair (I have no clue which one) will be cut before start. So you might face complaints from time to time, why they don't play in your tourney though they registered.

EDIT:
ad 1) Result with one board per round
I tried with a cut of 10 % and 9 rounds each one board starting with 30 tables
First cut after board 2 = start of round 3: (30)3 tables
following cuts (27)2 (25)2 (23)2 (21)2 (19)1 (18)2
The last cut of two tables is a bit astonishing, might be a rounding problem.

8) Depending on how many tables you want to survive it makes sense to select a cut rate of
15-20 % for 5 rounds or
10 % for 10 rounds
It makes little sense to run a survival with less than 6 tables and I would not play more than two boards a round to have some cuts.

This post has been edited by scarletv: 2014-December-22, 15:03

#3 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-24, 09:34

The tourneys were both set for 2 boards per round, time 7 minutes per board, (which drives some players bonkers but means a whole lot less adjusting to do). Hadn't thought about shortening the time part way through, an interesting idea but is it really needed when the tables move as soon as they are all finished anyway?

I may try one of these with one board per round and see how it goes, will also try 10 % cut and see what happens.It just seems a bit silly to call it a survivor tourney if almost everyone plays the whole thing except for the couple of pairs who get cut early.

Thanks for the information

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users