Worth a vul accept?

#21 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-23, 15:53

View PostPhil, on 2014-December-23, 14:48, said:

Just don't expect this to be cold.

Also, make sure you partner isn't jumping around with 15's.

Yeah, after posting it I was thinking about it in relation to this hand, which most of the posters want to bid 3 with. Rotate the suits downwards and it could be the hand you find opposite here:

KQJ965
Q7
AQJ
T9

vs

Tx
ATxx
xx
Kxxxx

I think even at this scoring, that's not a game you want to be in - though obviously that's scraping the bottom end of P's set of possible hands (and if you switch opener's round suits it looks much better).

I also wonder if Kxxxx isn't a worse holding than eg Kx, since on hands like this with a large disparity in strength, it seems like the weaker hand's values work best when they're supplementing the stronger hand's longer side suits (though maybe that's less relevant here, since he doesn't have a 4-card side suit worth mentioning).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-23, 16:27

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-23, 15:53, said:

Yeah, after posting it I was thinking about it in relation to this hand, which most of the posters want to bid 3 with. Rotate the suits downwards and it could be the hand you find opposite here:

KQJ965
Q7
AQJ
T9

vs

Tx
ATxx
xx
Kxxxx

I think even at this scoring, that's not a game you want to be in - though obviously that's scraping the bottom end of P's set of possible hands (and if you switch opener's round suits it looks much better).

I also wonder if Kxxxx isn't a worse holding than eg Kx, since on hands like this with a large disparity in strength, it seems like the weaker hand's values work best when they're supplementing the stronger hand's longer side suits (though maybe that's less relevant here, since he doesn't have a 4-card side suit worth mentioning).

I'm a big fan of just rebidding 2. Look at it this way - you need partner to have three cover cards to make game laydown, which is unlikely if partner passes. And jumping to three will produce a lot of minus scores whether partner raises or not.

#23 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-23, 23:29

This is borderline acceptance at match points if partner's jumps to 3 tend to be sound (NOT a random 15 with six moth eaten spades). Vulnerable at imps, it isn't even a question. Change K to Q I may gamble 4 anyway vulnerable at imps, but I'd be ashamed of it, I'd pass that hand in any other circumstances. A queen in an unbid suit tends to be worth substantially more than 1 point less than the king of the same suit would be.

All this is predicated on conservative invites, aggressive game bids. Were I dragooned into playing the opposite philosophy, I always pass the original hand (and complain about being 3-1 in a constructive auction too often).

#24 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-23, 23:40

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-December-23, 16:27, said:

I'm a big fan of just rebidding 2. Look at it this way - you need partner to have three cover cards to make game laydown, which is unlikely if partner passes. And jumping to three will produce a lot of minus scores whether partner raises or not.

Amen. This hand has a good suit, and that's about it. If I said I would bid 3 in the assumed 2/1ish context on this crap, I was high at time. For me, on the low end for 3 in Precision.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users