-1080, don't hold back.

#41 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-23, 09:02

View PostMrAce, on 2014-December-23, 00:20, said:

Jillybean, Imho any method that disables you from playing your fit at 2 level, after they penalty double your weak NT, is bad. Any method that disables you sitting on 1NT after they double, whether that might be due to having a balanced hand or hoping to make it doubled. So I agree with Vampyr.

I know you will be worried about the hands where they double and you want to punish them with rdbl and wherever they run. It ain't gonna come very often, if at all. It also gives opponents a delayed option, knowing that your pass is forcing to xx.

I agree with WesleyC that 3 is a textbook preemptive bid. There are ways to invite pd with long minor even after they start a penalty double. I started bridge with precision club, played weak NT almost all my life and I would definitely play it in 2/1 system if I regularly played live bridge with a regular pd.

Method I play and suggest is very simple;

xx=1 suited (running or invite hands)
2x=x+higher (like dont)
2NT=minors preemptive
3x=preemptive.
pass= I like 1 NT doubled or I like it better than playing anything else at 2 level. Does NOT force opener to xx.

Hi Timo. Thank you, this is useful. Do you play it over all X's ? Obviously xx not needed for runout if X is not penalty

#42 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-December-23, 12:05

View Postjillybean, on 2014-December-22, 19:06, said:

We play 2 way stayman so your 2 bid to show minors is not available.

However 2 (forcing manche) asks to 1NT(15-17) bidder if there are sure stopper(s) in major suit doesn't excuding to play 3NT if partner has it in both suits (response 2NT),bye

#43 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-December-23, 14:58

On Sunday against Val K in Palm Springs my partner opened 1 and Val overcalled 1N. I whipped with ATx x KT98xx KTx and we picked up an easy 500 against a part score at the other table. Val's partner held J9xx xxxx J 9xxx.

Do you think they wish they were playing some kind of runout?

Ron, instead of floating statements like "I learned from the Borin's, the BEST mixed pair in the WORLD". why don't you tell everyone why you think system on is so wonderful?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#44 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 18:15

Oddly enough, I *don't* play runouts over a strong NT opener, but I do play them over our strong NT overcall. And I find it very effective (including an auction where we played in our best fit - their suit - after 1-1NT-X-2!; AP).

I do see the arguments for runouts over strong NTs, but they always seem to not allow playing one or both of 1NTx or 1NTxx (or doing a pass-forces-redouble, which gives fourth hand two chances to run. But that's after there are 23-25 HCP between three hands, one of them partner - and after the double, 10 or so points between two hands, one of them partner. On the NT overcall, there's 23-25 minus 11+ minus 8ish - how often is partner going to have the XX hand? So runouts make much more sense.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#45 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-23, 18:29

View PostPhil, on 2014-December-23, 14:58, said:

On Sunday against Val K in Palm Springs my partner opened 1 and Val overcalled 1N. I whipped with ATx x KT98xx KTx and we picked up an easy 500 against a part score at the other table. Val's partner held J9xx xxxx J 9xxx.

Do you think they wish they were playing some kind of runout?

Ron, instead of floating statements like "I learned from the Borin's, the BEST mixed pair in the WORLD". why don't you tell everyone why you think system on is so wonderful?

Phil I guess you don't read posts properly but just skim read these days. You should read posts thoroughly before you put your foot in it. I also answered part2 of your comment - for you again, because it has worked for me for a long time, so why change.
The comment about the Borins was re the use of 2 way Stayman, which I actually think is a bit of a waste of time.
As a matter of curiosity, why dont you post Val K's hand. I am curious to see whether it is one of these flat 15 counts which so enamours the posters here into bidding 1nt.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users