BBO Discussion Forums: Protocol: Redo - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Protocol: Redo What to do when opposing player often asks for redo

#1 User is offline   Al1940 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-20, 15:18

I've recently been in several games where an opposing player often asks for a "redo" or "redeal". This is at a regular table, not a "learning" table. I always thought that you needed to play cards as dealt and if you made a mistake in bidding or play, just suck it up and keep going. This player often asked for a redo and if not granted often asked for a redeal. Once when I refused (I had made a few mistakes myself) he simply booted me (he was the leader). What is the best way to deal with this sort of situation?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:18

Al1940, on 2014-December-20, 15:18, said:

I've recently been in several games where an opposing player often asks for a "redo" or "redeal". This is at a regular table, not a "learning" table. I always thought that you needed to play cards as dealt and if you made a mistake in bidding or play, just suck it up and keep going. This player often asked for a redo and if not granted often asked for a redeal. Once when I refused (I had made a few mistakes myself) he simply booted me (he was the leader). What is the best way to deal with this sort of situation?
I don't like asking for redos or granting redos, online or face-to-face. Even worse is asking for a redeal in that context. I think boots should be counted against the kicker. Currently, I fear, you just have to live with it.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:25

Once when I refused (I had made a few mistakes myself) he simply booted me (he was the leader).

Mark as enemy, find new table. Simple.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:52

Undo should be granted when someone misclicks. There is a case for following the laws for mechanical errors so that undos are granted only during thr the auction and not after partner has bid. On the other hand, the bbo software makes it possible to ask for undo during play also and especially people who use a phone are likely to make frequent misclicks so it is reasonable to allow them.

If you don't want to allow undos you should probably make your own table where you disable undos. If you sit down at a table with undos enabled you have implicitly accepted the conditions so if you don't grant undos it is understandable that you get booted. On the other hand he shouldn't ask for an undo if it is not a genuine misclick.

Redeal is mostly when someone leaves midhand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-21, 03:05

Sounds like you are talking about one specific player. In that case, simply avoid playing at his table.

In general undo is allowed, and players are free to accept or reject as they see fit. Normally if it looks like a genuine misclick, it's courteous to allow it. Like helene_t explained there are enough situations where players re prone to misclick often (old users who can't see well or their hands tremble or playing on a phone where the screen is too small to accurately hit the cards/bids, etc.). If it looks like a change of mind or misthink, you can reject.

Redeals don't occur too often, I think they are usually requested when someone left midway through the hand and the new player either doesn't know what has passed or doesn't agree with the current bidding. Or if someone makes a spite bid or something. It's OK to allow the redeal in such cases.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-22, 09:09

There are always going to be problems with mechanics and anyone that asks for an
undo quickly should be granted it on the theory it was a misclick. There will ALWAYS
be misclicks until the programmers quit trying to imitate real life and SPREAD OUT the
cards so it becomes nearly impossible for a nervous twitch to hit another card. This game
is not like chess so touching a card does not mean that card has to be played.

redeals should mostly be saved for hands where the dummy has left the table and it
was pretty obvious the dummy was bidding with slightly less than a full deck. Players
that ask for redeals because THEIR bidding did not work (shock) are probably best
trained by refusing the redeal and if they persist boot them and make them enemies and
if they boot you make them enemies. If enough players do this they will make little to
no headway but maybe just maybe they will learn to quit asking others to cover their
mistakes.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users