BBO Discussion Forums: Two levels of frustration - One hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two levels of frustration - One hand

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-20, 14:02

http://tinyurl.com/mo3sxn2

I must give GIB credit here, it defended very well, underleading the CA to get partner on lead for a D play and trump promotion. It was certainly irritating that those who misplayed the hand by drawing trump immediately were rewarded with a 3-3 Heart split, making. Secondly, those who blasted to 4S on the first round were doubled. The defense started the same way but when GIB W won the 3rd round of Hearts it cashed the CA, allowing the contract to make. So everyone who was doubled made, while of those not doubled the ones who played correctly were defeated, while those who misplayed the hand made it.

Not a complaint, that is bridge.

#2 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-21, 16:48

I really don't think BBO is bridge.

It is great fun, and an amazing piece of software, but I don't think it can properly be called "bridge."

There are too many ways in which BBO is not bridge to document them all, but here are two obvious examples:

1. Robots are nothing like real partners or real opponents, not even the worst partners or opponents. Does a real partner Blackwood with a total of 2 Jacks in his/her hand? If you opened 1 and bid and rebid s, would a real partner ever leave you to play a 6-0 fit holding 4s in his/her hand? Do real opponents defend a hand like Belladonna and Garozzo or like Laurel and Hardy based on a spot card randomly played by a declarer? Has a real opponent (another than a complete novice, perhaps) ever made a two-suited overcall of your 1NT opening, red vs. white at IMPs, with a 4-4-3-2 hand?

2. In real tournament bridge, psyching is uncommon and frowned upon. In BBO tournaments, it is rampant because it annihilates the robots. If you were a top player, would you be likely to open 1NT holding 1-1-5-6 pattern or 2NT holding 5-4-4-0 pattern in a real ACBL tournament? But you might in BBO because with the former you'll get to a making 3NT opposite partner's 5-4-4-0 hand, and with the latter you'll get to slam off 2 Aces, but the robots won't cash, so mission accomplished.

I enjoy BBO a great deal. It's very entertaining (except when it's maddening), it lets me sharpen some of my bridge skills (such as squeeze play) and it's an inexpensive way to earn master points. I intend to keep using it and enjoying it. But I don't think it's bridge.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users