• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those vegetarian trouble-makers Christmas dinner

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-20, 13:39

So, it looks like I'll have guests for Christmas this year and one of them happens to be vegetarian. Now, I don't plan to let this deter me from my general plan of presenting a nice big piece of beef or pork as the main course, but can anyone recommend something not too complicated to cook additionally so that the vegetarian guest is not reduced to eating only brussel sprouts and potatoes?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-20, 13:44

Tofurky! I'm semi-serious here, it's tastier than most non-vegetarians would expect.

I was once in a similar position and I made baked acorn squash with a stuffing about which I can't remember details. It went over well.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#3 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 14:13

I usually make hazelnut and mushroom pate for christmas. But it's a lot of hassle (no pun).

Stirfry with cachews and tofu is easier, maybe not so christmassy, but it is yummy.

Maybe something like peppers stuffed with for example rice, walnuts and topped with chese, in the oven, is more suitable for a christmas dinner. You can use courgettes instead of peppers if you can find a big courgette.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-December-20, 14:29

Mushroom en croute, nut loaf, or just put something like nuts or lentils in the stuffing.

OR
Just ask your guest what they want and see if they can bring it with them.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 14:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-20, 14:13, said:

Maybe something like peppers stuffed with for example rice, walnuts and topped with chese, in the oven, is more suitable for a christmas dinner. You can use courgettes instead of peppers if you can find a big courgette.

That sounds interesting - I do enjoy peppers or zucchini stuffed with minced meat... oh wait. :)

Do you have something like a recipe? Would you need to fry the rice with the walnuts or is just cooked rice good enough?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 14:47

http://www.bbcgoodfo...s-on-the-barbie

Possibly not barbie weather so you'll have to roast, but these are delicious.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-December-20, 16:30

Winter squash or portabella mushrooms.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 16:53

In such a case is pasta my choice. Fast and simply to cook, but still possible to create a fine dish
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:23

View PostAberlour10, on 2014-December-20, 16:53, said:

In such a case is pasta my choice. Fast and simply to cook, but still possible to create a fine dish

I guess I didn't express myself well... I was hoping for something that would go well with the sides for everyone else would get (preliminarily planned to be potatoes in some form and brussel sprouts) rather than a completely different dish.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 17:37

Falafel might be doable. It is rich in protein.

Grind a can of drained mixed beans (kidney beans, white beans, ...) together with a can of drained chick peas, a couple of table spoons of flour, and lots of flavoring (e.g. harissa, koriander, lime, but can be something "Christmassy" instead) and some salt en pepper.

Wet your hands and make "meat balls" out of them and fry them for a few minutes in sunflower oil.

(I never made them, but I saw Jamie Oliver cook them on TV today and it seemed easy enough.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-20, 22:23

spinach lasagna
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-21, 07:00

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-20, 17:23, said:

I guess I didn't express myself well... I was hoping for something that would go well with the sides for everyone else would get (preliminarily planned to be potatoes in some form and brussel sprouts) rather than a completely different dish.

Nut roast; vegetable roulade; spanakopita
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-21, 10:29

Delete
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-22, 13:48

Maybe start out with a butternut/apple soup for everyone...using water or apple juice instead of stock, in case your recipe calls for stock.This can mostly be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated, so not much hassle on the day.

There are thousands of salads.. maybe a colorful zippy corn salad of some sort. Add a can of drained rinsed kidney or garbanzo beans and your guest has a complete protein dish.This also can be made ahead

#15 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-22, 15:26

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-20, 13:39, said:

So, it looks like I'll have guests for Christmas this year and one of them happens to be vegetarian. Now, I don't plan to let this deter me from my general plan of presenting a nice big piece of beef or pork as the main course, but can anyone recommend something not too complicated to cook additionally so that the vegetarian guest is not reduced to eating only brussel sprouts and potatoes?

I just made this recipe with butternut squash instead of yellow squash: http://www.foodnetwo...ole-recipe.html (with extra onion but no carrots because I forgot them). It was fairly easy, and went over well with my husband. I imagine that you could probably boil the vegetables and cook the onions a day ahead of time and then mix it all up before the meal (but I've never done that so Im not sure).
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 11:43

View PostElianna, on 2014-December-22, 15:26, said:

went over well with my husband.

Happy birthday to him, incidentally. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 12:50

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I ended up doing a variation of the recipe Paul gave: roast hacked walnuts in olive oil, add garlic, rice, vegetable stock, cook for 10 minutes, mix with parsley, spring onions and Emmentaler cheese and stuff into baby peppers. Put on a baking tray with aluminum foil and sprinkle with olive oil, bake for 15 minutes at 250°C.

Even some of the meat eaters thought it was the best part of the meal! :D
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-25, 13:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-25, 12:50, said:

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I ended up doing a variation of the recipe Paul gave: roast hacked walnuts in olive oil, add garlic, rice, vegetable stock, cook for 10 minutes, mix with parsley, spring onions and Emmentaler cheese and stuff into baby peppers. Put on a baking tray with aluminum foil and sprinkle with olive oil, bake for 15 minutes at 250°C.

Even some of the meat eaters thought it was the best part of the meal! :D

I'm going to try these, they sound fantastic. For the next 4 evening meals I am out with family so no cooking until the 29th , (best gift I received).

#19 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2014-December-31, 04:27

Recipe copied and pasted. We must eat this soon! Thanks.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users