BBO Discussion Forums: 1C could be doubleton (2C natural) - Responses? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C could be doubleton (2C natural) - Responses?

#1 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-18, 17:08

No hands, but looking for ideas on best to handle this situation where partner and I were on different wavelengths. The 1 opening is possibly a doubleton and is often a 12-14 balanced hand that can contain 4 card major(s). 2nd seat overcalls with a natural 2. What are your bids here as responder?

One idea might be compulsory transfers (weak or stronger) starting with a double for transfer to diamonds, and in a similar manner to an xyz 2 transfer, does not necessarily have diamonds but could be the first move on an invitational hand maybe with a 4 card major which is then bid ? A less than invitational 4 card major gives up and just passes?

Or a normal takeout X instead, but what sort of strength would you expect for that, and if responder has a 5 card major to bid naturally, how do you handle different strengths?

What do you do in this position?

#2 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-18, 17:15

The simplest is pretend partner opened a weak NT and play NT systems on, so dbl is stayman. Stayman needs to have values here so He can pass a dbl with the unbalanced club hand.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-18, 17:48

I have a metaagreement that over any natural club overcall, 2 shows hearts, 2 shows spades and 2 shows diamonds. Very useful also over e.g. 1NT-(3).

Double would obviously be takeout.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-18, 18:06

2 = nat nf 7-10(11)
2NT/3/3 = GF
3 = nat inv

In other words, it's the same as 1NT-(2)nat but with different ranges, which hardly anyone plays. Since double is for take-out, there are a few awkward hands that can go down that route.

One can give up the invitational 3 to play it as a transfer to 3NT - universally recognised as the best convention in the history of the world.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-18, 19:41

I figure the objective of the two under transfers is to allow you to super accept or similar with the 1 under bid, but would this work as well?

1C-(2C)

2DHS Nat, NF
2NT: Stayman with a stopper?
3C: Invitational+ Diamonds
3D: Invitational plus hearts
3H: Invitational plus spades
3S: Transfer to 3NT?

You could scrap the stayman with a stop option and just bid everything 2 under as well if you wanted to keep that.

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-19, 05:08

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-December-18, 19:41, said:

I figure the objective of the two under transfers is to allow you to super accept or similar with the 1 under bid, but would this work as well?

1C-(2C)

2DHS Nat, NF
2NT: Stayman with a stopper?
3C: Invitational+ Diamonds
3D: Invitational plus hearts
3H: Invitational plus spades
3S: Transfer to 3NT?

You could scrap the stayman with a stop option and just bid everything 2 under as well if you wanted to keep that.

We have lost a lot of space on the forcing hands by playing 2x as non-forcing, so I like to use the three level bids to establish a game force and allow partner to explore.

I guess it depends how important you think the invitational hands are, but the weak no-trumper is allowed to raise 2x with a fit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users