Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 31; 2 hands

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-16, 15:50

Here are two hands from my first tourney with version 31. It is MP scored, best hand South, "Instant" tourney (so other tables will be earlier version).
The two hands have a theme in common: Making a "normal" bid can be expensive if systemically with GIB it shows more total points than those held. That is nothing new, but it is still with us.

Hand 1
======

Despite having 11 playing tricks I did not have the promised 29 total points for the 5C bid. 4C would have shown 25+ total points by the way.

What is meant by "Cheaper minor --", being the full description of the 3D bid? Yes it is the cheaper minor. By definition. The cheapest minor bid other than 3D would be 4C, which is more expensive than 3D, so yes, 3D is the "cheaper minor". 3C I believe to be forcing, so would it bid 3D on a Yarborough? if so, would a 4C follow-up by South be forcing on only 25 total points?

I suspect that 4C would have been the winning action. Possibly in part because North has enough to bid again anyway.

Hand 2
======

Lacking the total points for 3C, 2C by South is the winning action, despite that it is non-forcing (I believe). Mind you, it is only JUST shy of the 19 TP required for 3C. Not that I would normally count 3 points for a kingleton. Mind you, if the Spade finesse had worked ... maybe not an unreasonable punt after all. Not one that I would have found.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users