• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-16, 08:55

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 09:05

I would risk 4s here.

second choice would be 3s but am afraid west might bid 4s now. I suppose I could try 3s and then 4nt if west bids 4s??

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-16, 10:21

The only bids that come to mind, really, are 5 and 6. Doesn't it seem quite likely that either 5 or 6 is making?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 10:29

I'm not jumping around here. What's to say partner isn't 5341 or something. I'll settle for a quiet 3C. I won't sell out to 4S, even if doubled, but if the opponents do shut up, we'd be in a much better spot.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-16, 10:35

3 is fine. If partner signs off in 4, that will be it for me. For slam to be reasonable, partner needs at least two good cards or features. The least he could have for 6 to be good would be the singleton or doubleton ace of clubs and the J (to ruff the fourth club). Otherwise, I will need some combination of club honor(s) and the diamond A. Pard has to have at least one minor suit ace along with something useful in clubs. This is actually a lot to ask for.

I fully expect that the opps will bid more. I will also bid more. I have not yet decided how much more.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-16, 11:33

View Postmike777, on 2014-December-16, 09:05, said:

I would risk 4s here.

second choice would be 3s but am afraid west might bid 4s now. I suppose I could try 3s and then 4nt if west bids 4s??

I don't understand this at all, assuming that 4 is intended as exclusion.

Isn't partner's most probable response 1 keycard (followed by none, with 2 a distant third)?

What do you bid over a 1 keycard response, and why?

xxx xxx xxx AQx makes slam laydown

QJx Jxx AQxx Qxx makes slam poor, even tho I gave him 12 hcp!!!!

Qxx Jxx AQxx Jxx makes slam virtually unmakeable (requires doubleton AQ of clubs onside....good luck with that)

And so on

A useful rule to remember is that one should never....and I mean never...use keycard when a plausible response leaves you unable to know what to do. There will always be options, other than keycard, of which at least one will be better. Here, while nothing comes with any guarantee, by bidding 3 we show a very powerful hand, and involve partner beyond reducing him to a robot, as keycard does.

My own view is that dreaming of slam is just that: dreaming. I can't think of any sequence that could ever leave us or partner able to determine that we probably have play for 12 tricks. My concern, then, is to try to make the best 4 or 5 level decision, and, ideally, avoid the need to bid 5 at all. While we are favourite to make 11 or, sometimes, 12 tricks, there is no assured 5-level safety here.

QJx Jxxx Kxx Jxx is more than enough for a 2 raise and we have basically no play at the 5 level.

3 strikes me as the call that is most likely to inhibit an immediate 4 call, and that is what I would do. It also offers a remote chance that partner, with 2 Aces, might be able to do something that gets us to a slam, tho I doubt it.

Btw, in 3rd seat I would much prefer to open this 4. Slam is so remote, even if and maybe especially if, the opps stay out, that I would prefer to do my best to ensure that we play this hand. After all, we don't have much defence to 6!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 12:10

3. It's time to walk the dog.

On a really good day, West bids 3 and we get "pushed" to 4. Far more likely is that West jumps to 4, and then our bid of 5 will look like a sacrifice ...

#8 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-16, 12:38

3 - I start with a game try.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-16, 13:08

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-December-16, 12:10, said:

3. It's time to walk the dog.

On a really good day, West bids 3 and we get "pushed" to 4. Far more likely is that West jumps to 4, and then our bid of 5 will look like a sacrifice ...

Only against opps who haven't seen this movie before. That isn't to say that it won't work. My sense, from my limited playing these days, is that tactics like this have fallen out of use, to the point that the vast majority of average players wouldn't even think this could be happening.

You are giving up on slam, and you are risking playing in 3 when partner has 4 decent spades and a maximum, since 3 is never a gametry. However, walking the dog is a lot of fun when it works.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-December-16, 13:29

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-16, 10:21, said:

The only bids that come to mind, really, are 5 and 6. Doesn't it seem quite likely that either 5 or 6 is making?

For me 5 would show a slam try with no spade control, and I think most players play that way too.

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-December-16, 10:29, said:

I'm not jumping around here. What's to say partner isn't 5341 or something.

Maybe we should double, partner will have some trump tricks in spades :P

Seriously, I don't think we should give up control on this hand, so making descriptive bids won't help. 3 or voidwood seem like best alternatives to me if we are gonna go scientific. But I'd rather bid 3 so we can still use partner's A as a diamond trick on 6. I wouldn't mind some regular blackwood also to make extra noise in case partner gives a positive in clubs.

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 14:54

I'm not sure why I opened this 1 - I won't be happy whether it's passed out or whether people start bidding. Third in 4 looks more plausible. 5 also tempting, and I certainly prefer it to 1.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-December-16, 16:41

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-16, 14:54, said:

I'm not sure why I opened this 1 - I won't be happy whether it's passed out

You wanna make it to someone's signature or something?

#13 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-16, 18:43

If you bid 3, partner bids 4

Mike, I'm having trouble accepting that this is a 4 opener. I am closer to opening 2 than 4
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-16, 20:57

3C sticks out for me. If pd can show C support I will know that it should be ok to bid 5H if necessary.

"3. It's time to walk the dog."

Only if you play against beginners which I seriously doubt you do.

"Mike, I'm having trouble accepting that this is a 4 opener. I am closer to opening 2 than 4 "

This is not within a bull's roar of a 2C opening.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-December-16, 21:19

I'm bidding 3 against competent opponents. 4 baits them to bid 5/5 and we don't want that.

It's the novices that you have to worry about here because they'll pass 3.

I really loathe 3. It helps the opponents at least as much as partner. 6 is such a narrow target anyway even if it's the right sac.

If you could choose a final realistic what would it be? And what's the best way to get there?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-December-16, 22:27

"Mike, I'm having trouble accepting that this is a 4 opener. I am closer to opening 2 than 4."

But you only have 8.5 tricks and 13 HCP. I think it is good to look for reasons to not open 2 and would insist on at least 9 tricks to open 2 with sub-minimal HCP.

Some may think this hand is too strong for it, but it seems like a good Namyats opener to me if you play it can be this good.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-December-16, 23:00

View Postjillybean, on 2014-December-16, 18:43, said:

If you bid 3, partner bids 4

Mike, I'm having trouble accepting that this is a 4 opener. I am closer to opening 2 than 4

The point is that one should think about how the auction will go.

If we were in 1st or 2nd seat, with an unlimited partner and a good hand, it would be foolish to pre-empt

In 3rd chair, we need to balance the pluses and minuses of our options.

Do we think that we have any realistic chance of intelligently bidding to a good slam after 1? It seems to me that even if LHO passes, there are very few sequences where we can identify what we need for slam and, just as importantly, find out that he lacks what we need. Opposition bidding is likely to make that no easier on most layouts.

In fact, I have real difficulty trying to construct good auctions to slam opposite hands where we have play. xxxx x xxxx AQxx is a good slam, but how on earth are we getting there even if the opps pass throughout? I know, there will be posters here who will proudly display their successful auction on any and all example hands I can create, but they are (usually) idiots who only bid well when they see both hands. I think we all know who they are. Back in the real world, while it is possible to bid some hands on some layouts, the reality is that reaching slam after a 1 bid is going to be difficult.

So, if reaching slam is unrealistic, why are we opening at the 1-level, and giving the opps all that bidding space? Heck, we can't even be confident of beating a small slam and if partner has a heart fit, we may be unable to beat a grand.

Far more problematic in the real world is that we can readily foresee that the opps may be able to get to 4 before the auction gets back to us. Imagine a Michaels bid on our left and rho with any hand with 5 spades. Imagine a jump overcall and RHO with 4 spades and a near opener, short in hearts. And so on.

Do we really want to have to play 5? No.

So why are we choosing, amongst rational options, the action that maximizes the chances of our having to bid 5?

Sure, they might be able to get to 4 over 4, but coming in at the 4 level at equal with a passed hand partner and no sure fit is not as easy as bidding over 1. In addition, if we do open 4 and partner doubles 4 we can pass happily.

In bidding, context is all important. For example, swap my majors and I would open 1, since altho my chances of reaching a good slam are no better, I am very comfortable about bidding 4 over 4 plus 1 pre-empts hearts far more effectively than 1 pre-empts spades.

#18 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-16, 23:06

View PostFluffy, on 2014-December-16, 13:29, said:

For me 5 would show a slam try with no spade control, and I think most players play that way too.

Even after partner passed initially and then made such a feeble raise to 2?

Of course, as mikeh said, opening 1 in the first place was the problem.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-17, 05:02

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-16, 11:33, said:

Btw, in 3rd seat I would much prefer to open this 4. Slam is so remote, even if and maybe especially if, the opps stay out, that I would prefer to do my best to ensure that we play this hand. After all, we don't have much defence to 6!

Didn't notice this bit initially. If you open 4 and 4 comes back around to you, will you bid five?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-17, 09:25

I like the dog-walking approach. 3 for me too.

My experience is that this works better than expected.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users