BBO Discussion Forums: ATB 4Hx= - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB 4Hx=

Poll: ATB 4Hx= (36 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. 100% N (18 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 75% N (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Both equally to blame (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. 75% S (3 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

5. 100% S (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

6. No blame/ unlucky (3 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-15, 13:26

Matchpoints.

2 was GF, natural 5 card club suit or a balanced game force. Pass over 4 by S would have been forcing.

4Hx could not be beaten. ATB.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 14:47

100% to N. All of S's calls seem reasonable to me, not sure I like any of N's:

1) 1 - too aggressive for me on this aceless hand. I prefer both 2 and pass, though I don't think 1 is awful.
2) 2 depends on your forcing pass agreements.
3) P's X is a suggestion, not a command. This has approx 0 defensive tricks, rather than the 2-ish P might expect, and excellent support for P's primary suit. 4N as two places to play looks right having got this far. S will bid 5, which GiB will probably make and mortals will prob go off in, but prob not by more than 2 (and maybe undoubled).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 15:29

I am not fond of north's opening bid with no defense, but it is tolerable. Having done so, he should pull the double. Also I prefer a club raise for his second call, or perhaps pass.

But mostly I blame west, who butts into our game forcing auction at the two level, vul, opposite a partner who passed. West deserves -1100 and would often get it with this bid. This time he was lucky, it will pay off the next five times he does it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 17:24

Most partnerships I know deny 4-card spades when they bid 2 barring subsequent strong bidding (not doubling). That makes the 2 bid by north exceptionally ill advised.

If the 2 bid can show a balanced gf with 4 cards in spades then the bid was ill advised and the methods even worse.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-15, 19:19

wtf is 2s by North
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-15, 19:32

View Postbroze, on 2014-December-15, 13:26, said:

Matchpoints.
2 was GF, natural 5 card club suit or a balanced game force. Pass over 4 by S would have been forcing.
4Hx could not be beaten. ATB.
IMO, it was bad luck although the system didn't help much. Viewing their 2 hands, NS seem to have bid well. The 5-level is fraught. On a good day, against 4, they might make, 2 x s, 1 x s, 1 x s, and 2 x s. On a bad day, 4 might go only 1 down, so they have to double, since they expect to make a minor contract. This was a terrible day. Even so, only a result-merchant would condemn the NS actions.

#7 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-15, 20:14

View Postbillw55, on 2014-December-15, 15:29, said:

I am not fond of north's opening bid with no defense, but it is tolerable. Having done so, he should pull the double. Also I prefer a club raise for his second call, or perhaps pass.

But mostly I blame west, who butts into our game forcing auction at the two level, vul, opposite a partner who passed. West deserves -1100 and would often get it with this bid. This time he was lucky, it will pay off the next five times he does it.

Its amazing his partner couldnt overcall with a 6 card suit and a 10 count at the 1 level.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 20:22

If 2 shows real clubs or a balanced GF, then South's double should show the most defensive hand, i.e. the balanced GF. South should have passed to indicate that he has genuine clubs.

North could still pull the double. But South could have:
A95
KQ7
AJT7
and we would be blaming North for pulling.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 20:27

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-15, 14:47, said:

3) P's X is a suggestion, not a command. This has approx 0 defensive tricks, rather than the 2-ish P might expect, and excellent support for P's primary suit.

What primary suit? South hasn't shown a suit yet.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 20:29

Whichever of them devised their methods takes the blame. I believe North's hand should open 1D, but South's hand is not a game-forcing response if we agree to open light. These two hands should never be in a forcing pass predicament. When we cannot make game, and the opponents can, we should reconsider committing our side right off the bat with 2/1 -- even worse when the 2/1 bid might not even be a suit.

South needs to be able to show a 10-12 point hand with long clubs and let North be the Captain. 1D-3C? After that, all the blame or credit would go to North for his decision to compete further -- when they get to 4H. If we don't have such tool, then we probably should resort to 2C/1D only forcing to 3C.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-15, 22:29

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-December-15, 20:29, said:

Whichever of them devised their methods takes the blame. I believe North's hand should open 1D, but South's hand is not a game-forcing response if we agree to open light. These two hands should never be in a forcing pass predicament. When we cannot make game, and the opponents can, we should reconsider committing our side right off the bat with 2/1 -- even worse when the 2/1 bid might not even be a suit.

I would open the North hand, and I have a lot of sympathy for making a GF response with the South hand (I would make the same sort of bid opposite a 1M opening certainly), but given this, I would agree that it merits reconsidering whether this should establish a 100% forcing pass.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-15, 23:23

I'd assign the blame to system/agreements.

Although multi 2 is great, it can struggle sometimes when the opps compete.

#13 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-16, 00:17

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-December-15, 17:24, said:

Most partnerships I know deny 4-card spades when they bid 2 barring subsequent strong bidding (not doubling). That makes the 2 bid by north exceptionally ill advised.

If the 2 bid can show a balanced gf with 4 cards in spades then the bid was ill advised and the methods even worse.

No, it can probably show a GF with 5 clubs and 4 spades though.

#14 User is offline   ayebee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf SF and crime fiction, and bridge

Posted 2014-December-16, 03:14

At match point pairs if you don't go -790 occasionally you're not doubling enough. From South's view lacking a good fit game seems to be a stretch and holding 3 defensive tricks opposite partners opening and rebid in spades, 4 hearts looks doomed.

Having said that, I don't like South's 2 which suggests extra values not sub minimum and bid on an awful suit when partner has pretty much already denied 4 spades. 3 is better but how about pass at this point which by inference is minimum with a good diamond suit. yes I know 2 is forcing but after interference S can bid again so a free bid should show extra values

50% N 50% unlucky

#15 User is offline   marcindz 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 03:31

In my opinion, you were sort of unlucky, or rather TRICKED by east.

1. Pass from E could mean 0-7PC or up to 11 with balanced, not exactly 10 with 5+ color (IMO HE should bid 1!H)
2. S didn't expect light opening.
3. W made a "gamble style" bid which could be costly, luckily - check point 1.
4. 4!H which S had to double bcoz of points + "WHY WOULD East HAVE 5 HEARTS FOR CHRIST SAKE?" thing.

#16 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2014-December-16, 03:36

100% blame with North. Those commentators who advocate opening 1 or that 1 "is not a bad bid" should hang their heads in shame. The rule of 20 is one of those rules that should be consigned to the rubbish/garbage bin. Many a time I see experts opening poor 10 or 11 point hands, and if they can do it, it must be right. Not in my book!

The one thing I look for when opening at the one level is quick tricks (A, AK, KQ, AQ, K usually supported with a J or 10) not turkeys with stuffing (this being Xmas lol!). There's a good case for passing with the North hand (especially vulnerable) as technically opening a weak 2 or 3 bid in a minor with an outside 4 card major is anathema, but, I see many players do this nowadays so 2 is so much better than 1 as the hand offers little in defence.

E/W are dead lucky (or cheating - it does happen, sadly) to find the unbeatable game, but overall North's bidding is truly atrocious in my personal opinion. (Hope you weren't North :unsure: )

#17 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 03:56

To be honest I do not consider the N hand worth opening, but lets take the view this is ok. If that hand is acceptable to open it is going to create some problems as you can hardly blame responder for thinking they belong in some game. It seems N/S re not using support dbles but why N felt it was time to mention those Spades is ridiculous. Granted responder may have spades, who cares you will get a chance to bid later, maybe raise S when partner bids them.I certainly would not pass 4H as S whose only blame is he thought partner opened the bidding and showed S because he had something.

#18 User is offline   ayebee 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf SF and crime fiction, and bridge

Posted 2014-December-16, 05:39

View PostThe_Badger, on 2014-December-16, 03:36, said:

E/W are dead lucky (or cheating - it does happen, sadly) to find the unbeatable game.

I don't think it is necessary to invoke cheating here - my partner and I would probably bid the same as E/W at MP pairs. West's overcall is a bit thin but it satisfies the SQOT test (suit quality length + no of honours = level at which you can overcall) and may help partner to lead hearts. Easts raise is automatic - with a known 11 card fit 4H is probably a good sacrifice if it doesn't make.

#19 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-16, 06:32

North's is to blame by at least 200%

#20 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-December-16, 06:33

First error rules!!!
Simple question..........what bid more accurately describes North's hand to Partner?? 1D or 2D??

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users