BBO Discussion Forums: Call/Pass out of rotation or nothing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Call/Pass out of rotation or nothing

#1 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-13, 09:16

At a table the other night. The North player made as if to bid. He had his hands on the Bidding Box and had quarter pulled out a bid (that no one saw) when his partner said ' It's not your bid. He immediately pushed the bidding box cards back in the bidding box. His LHO called the director. What should the ruling be? It was South's turn to bid. (North's partner).

Sorry ACBL jurisdiction

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-13, 09:27

The fact that North meant to open the bidding is UI to South, if the opps feel damaged, call back. Otherwise, carry on as normal.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 10:19

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-13, 09:27, said:

The fact that North meant to open the bidding is UI to South, if the opps feel damaged, call back. Otherwise, carry on as normal.

That would be my vote. I am sure, someone will explain how this practical solution is breaking the laws.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 10:58

It is the correct solution unless there is a (local) regulation in force that states that a call has been made as soon as the player touches any card from the bidding box.

(I am not aware of any regulating authority with such a regulation!)

(The fact that nobody saw the card he was about to use is irrelevant for this ruling! What they in case saw is part of the UI in question.)

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 14:08

I would expect from the description that if anybody saw what bidding card North was interested in, it would be one of EW, not South. So the UI is that North was interested in making a bid, not that he was interested in making a particular bid.

The relevant laws are 18F, its associated regulation (and in the ACBL, Election #2 in the back of the law book) and Law 16B (and possibly Law 12 later).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 15:46

View PostEthel, on 2014-December-13, 09:16, said:

At a table the other night. The North player made as if to bid. He had his hands on the Bidding Box and had quarter pulled out a bid (that no one saw) when his partner said ' It's not your bid. He immediately pushed the bidding box cards back in the bidding box. His LHO called the director. What should the ruling be? It was South's turn to bid. (North's partner).

In which country are you located?

View Postpran, on 2014-December-13, 10:58, said:

It is the correct solution unless there is a (local) regulation in force that states that a call has been made as soon as the player touches any card from the bidding box.

(I am not aware of any regulating authority with such a regulation!)

(The fact that nobody saw the card he was about to use is irrelevant for this ruling! What they in case saw is part of the UI in question.)

In the EBU a call is made "when removed from the bidding box with apparent intent" I'm not sure whether 'quarter pulled out a bid' counts or not!

#7 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-13, 16:23

View Postjallerton, on 2014-December-13, 15:46, said:

In which country are you located?

In the EBU a call is made "when removed from the bidding box with apparent intent" I'm not sure whether 'quarter pulled out a bid' counts or not!

The card hasn't been "removed" from the box before it is completely free from the box.

If they intend an earlier time limit then they should find a different description, for instance (similar to chess rules) "when a card has been touched with apparent intent".

#8 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-13, 21:36

Thank you all very much. Happy I made the correct ruling. There was no damage to the non-offending side. The offending side got mixed up and the non offenders got a top board!! :lol:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users