BBO Discussion Forums: And the answer is: "Robots Behaving Badly" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And the answer is: "Robots Behaving Badly"

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-11, 18:30

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

The question being: how do you lose more than 17 IMPs to the leaders on a hand where there is no hint of a slam, no potential sacrifice, and you achieve the par result?

I admit that I considered bidding 3 over 1, and admire those who did so; and if you want to give the opponents a fielder's choice, and risk -300 to avoid being -140, go ahead and bid 1-2-3 with the South hand - "chacun a son gout." But I do object when the robots, having found their fit at the 1-level, start introducing 3 card suits and making (like West here) an atrocious jump to the 4-level in the weaker of his prospective trump suits, turning an easy-as-pie hand into a -800 disaster. At IMPs you just can't make up this kind of ground. Is it really so difficult to stop the bots from bidding 3-card suits other than a 1/1 opening bid?

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-12, 02:29

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-December-11, 18:30, said:

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

The question being: how do you lose more than 17 IMPs to the leaders on a hand where there is no hint of a slam, no potential sacrifice, and you achieve the par result?

I admit that I considered bidding 3 over 1, and admire those who did so; and if you want to give the opponents a fielder's choice, and risk -300 to avoid being -140, go ahead and bid 1-2-3 with the South hand - "chacun a son gout." But I do object when the robots, having found their fit at the 1-level, start introducing 3 card suits and making (like West here) an atrocious jump to the 4-level in the weaker of his prospective trump suits, turning an easy-as-pie hand into a -800 disaster. At IMPs you just can't make up this kind of ground. Is it really so difficult to stop the bots from bidding 3-card suits other than a 1/1 opening bid?

Its whacko that West with more than minimum can't bid 2 or double 3.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users