BBO Discussion Forums: Opening balanced hands in a 5443 system - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening balanced hands in a 5443 system Which order?

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-11, 07:31

I'm currently playing Swedish standard in a partnernship - four card majors with strong NT where 4432 hands are opened in the priority hearts > clubs > spades > diamonds. We also play 2/1 as GF. I've been thinking of suggesting a 5443 system instead, where 1 promise five and 1 can be 3. If playing such a system, which priority would you have for 4432 hands, and what would you open with 4333?

My thoughts:

- Open all 4333s with 1
- Open 4-4 majors with 1
- With 4-4 hearts + minor, should we open hearts or the minor? Choosing the minor has the benefit of 1-1; 1NT promising 5, and responder may raise 1 to 2 with 3 card support. Opening with hearts is a bit more aggressive and finds a potential 4-4 heart fit immediatly.
- With 4-4 minors it seems standard to open 1 in a 5533 system, same here?

Another thought is to make 1 have a higher frequency of being unbalanced, for instance to open 1 when having a 4 card major, 4 diamonds and 3 clubs.

The system would be played with a strong NT opening (15-17, including 5M332) and a style where 1m-1X; 1NT may hold a 4 card major. 2/1 GF. Weak twos. Inverted minor raises. Possibly also playing Walsh over 1.

#2 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-12, 01:57

With this style, I suggest opening the minor with 4/4 in hearts and a minor. Then you are effectively playing a 5-card major 1 opener unless you raise partner's 1 response.

With 4-4 in the minors, it doesn't matter so much (as your 1 is 3+): whatever you and partner agree.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-12, 03:59

I wonder if the inference that opener has either four spades OR five hearts is significant. Responder can make a negative double after
1-(2)
a bit more aggresively than he could if opener could be 3433 or even 2434 or 3424. Also,
1-2m
3m
will generally show five hearts (unless, maybe, you open 1 with 4441 and then raise diamonds).

Of course if opener doesn't raise spades he will have five hearts but isn't that information more useful for the defenders than for responder? Responder can always check back for it. And with two balanced hands it is not a big deal to find the 5-3 fit anyway.

If you like to play KI you probably need 1 to show five or 4-4.

It is not like a 1NT rebid will deny four hearts anyway since you could also have 24(52), I don't think it is common to open that shape 1 unless maybe in third seat when you want a heart lead.

Then again, if spades shows five I would need very strong arguments for not playing 1 as five also, for consistency.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users