BBO Discussion Forums: Could someone explain this phenomenon? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could someone explain this phenomenon?

#1 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 22:53

At the school I teach at, students are required to have planners and write down their homework in them, and also the bottom of each page has a bathroom pass (two per week).

I have a young gentleman in my school (16 years old for more context) who has drawings of male genitalia on every page of his planner. He claims that a "friend" steals it, draws on it, and miraculously puts it back in his backpack, all without his knowledge. He's a terrible liar by the way.

What I want to know is what motivates the drawing of male genitalia on whatever he gets his hands on (or whatever "his friend" gets his hands on). There have been other young men who have the propensity to doodle male genitalia, but I have yet to see a female draw genitalia (of either gender) on school material.

So why do boys do this? Or perhaps, why do girls don't? This kid won't explain it to me (not that I really expected that he would).
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#2 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 23:54

It's not even that big of a deal. Something like 8% of kids do it but whatever. For some reason... and I don't know why... they just sit around all day...
OK
bed

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-10, 23:56

Just to provoke and show off. Not a big deal. They prob would draw vaginas too if they were expecting to get a reaction. Or if they knew what a vagina looks like.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 02:36

If it is drawn quickly with 2 circles and a U between them and perhaps some hair it is drawn by friends trying to embarras him. But I don't understand why he didn't destroy them before handing to you.

Perhaps he drawed them and wanted to test your reaction.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-11, 03:47

It is almost certainly is a biological in addition to rather than a cultural thing since it is probably the evolutionary explanation of the absurdly big human penises (the survival value is social status in the peer group, rather than attraction of females) and it has been going on for a very long time (the palaeolitic wall paintings of hunters with oversized erect penises appear to have been made by adolecent boys).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2014-December-11, 06:54

Is it the same guy that created this?
http://wgrd.com/this...alm-tree-photo/
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 07:32

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-10, 23:56, said:

Just to provoke and show off. Not a big deal. They prob would draw vaginas too if they were expecting to get a reaction. Or if they knew what a vagina looks like.

When I was at school the thing to do was stack w, x,(Y) on top of each other to produce a stylised line drawing of a naked woman's body. But perhaps that was just maths geeks.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-December-11, 07:58

You need to watch "Superbad"

http://karmajello.co...s-superbad.html

(Note that the URL takes you to a page full of (What I think are) quite amusing hand drawn pictures of penises)
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 08:09

View Postdicklont, on 2014-December-11, 06:54, said:

Is it the same guy that created this?
http://wgrd.com/this...alm-tree-photo/

The people who live in that house are awesome.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 08:15

View PostElianna, on 2014-December-10, 22:53, said:

So why do boys do this? Or perhaps, why do girls don't? This kid won't explain it to me (not that I really expected that he would).

Girls draw lots of hearts and flowers, I suspect. You wouldn't catch a boy dotting his i's with hearts, he'd be teased mercilessly by the other kids.

I don't think the boy understands what motivates him, so he couldn't explain it even if he wanted to. It's like when you learn to swear, you find reasons to do it as much as you can get away with.

If you want to know how teenage boys think, watch a little Beevis and Butthead. They're caricatures, of course, but not that far off.

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 09:26

View PostElianna, on 2014-December-10, 22:53, said:

At the school I teach at, students are required to have planners and write down their homework in them, and also the bottom of each page has a bathroom pass (two per week).

I have a young gentleman in my school (16 years old for more context) who has drawings of male genitalia on every page of his planner. He claims that a "friend" steals it, draws on it, and miraculously puts it back in his backpack, all without his knowledge. He's a terrible liar by the way.

What I want to know is what motivates the drawing of male genitalia on whatever he gets his hands on (or whatever "his friend" gets his hands on). There have been other young men who have the propensity to doodle male genitalia, but I have yet to see a female draw genitalia (of either gender) on school material.

First, I never did it.So I cannot explain it, at least not exactly. But if I understand correctly, this planner that he doodles on is something that he can be certain that you will see. If so, surely it is done to intentionally insult you ar challenge you. And that I can recall from my adolescence very well.

Example, although I was, I think, 14. In English class we were given a study time. No lecture, just a quiet time to work on whatever assignment we were to be doing. So I pulled my Classic Comic book out to read and take notes on. The teacher shouted at me "Kenneth, what are you doing?". I replied that I was working on my book report. Of course I knew that it wasn't acceptable to write a book report on the Classic Comics version. It was my passive aggressive way of saying "Hey, teacher, you don'tt hink anyone actually reads this crap, do you? This is how we all do our book reports."

Example: We were taking an exam. My friend Bob, from the other side of the room, shouted "Hey Ken, what's the answer to question 3?". I shouted back the answer. The teacher said "Boys, you can't do this!" But obviously she was wrong, because we did it and no punishment was given.

not pretty, I know. This behavior, or at least this psychology, has an upside. This is the same period of my life when I took a hard look at religion and set it aside. It is the time when was choosing science and mathematics, much at odds with the choices of the immediate neighborhood of my childhood. You don't change the trajectory of your life by doing what people tell you. Adults tell adolescent males a lot of things. Most of it is crap, and it has to be sorted out.

So I cannot explain the genitalia, that wasn't my thing. But I think it is aggressive. Possibly you could get him to channel this aggression more productively, but I wouldn't bet on it. If you keep in mind that the reason Bob and I shouted questions and answers back and forth during an exam is that it pissed the teacher off and she had no idea of what to do about it, you will be, I think, on the right track.

Girls have their ways of being aggressive as well, they just do it differently. I recall Sandy grabbing my notebook and stuffing it under her skirt between her thighs. I was, like the teacher above, at a loss as to how to deal with this.

Added: In what might be irony, the Classics Comic I was reading was, If I recall correctly, Don Quixote.
Ken

#12 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-December-11, 10:13

View Postkenberg, on 2014-December-11, 09:26, said:

First, I never did it.So I cannot explain it, at least not exactly. But if I understand correctly, this planner that he doodles on is something that he can be certain that you will see. If so, surely it is done to intentionally insult you or challenge you. And that I can recall from my adolescence very well.

I don't recall any of the guys in my middle-school classes doing genitalia drawings, but we certainly misbehaved terribly in middle school. I recall being kicked out of the building, having to walk home with a document for my folks to read about my behavior, and not being allowed to return until my parents brought me back to school for a conference with the principal. (The reaction of my parents to this was extremely unpleasant for me.)

And, yes, the girls handled it differently. A girl in my class, Carolyn, took my pen and put it down her shirt and dared me to take it back. I didn't dare, but I did turn as red as a beet.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 12:29

View Postgordontd, on 2014-December-11, 07:32, said:

When I was at school the thing to do was stack w, x,(Y) on top of each other to produce a stylised line drawing of a naked woman's body. But perhaps that was just maths geeks.

Out of curiosity I took a look at my 12 yo boy's textbooks. These are books given by the school at the beginning of the year, and kids use them, then give them back at the end of the year. Most of these books have been passed from generation to generation and have quite a few funny "signatures" from their previous owners. So I wanted to see the penis-to-other-provocative-stuff ratio. I was disappointed to find only two penis drawings, and pleasantly surprised to find a lot of internet memes perfectly applied to physics, maths, history and literature. Times change. While I was in school it was mostly penis. Now it's much more entertaining :)

And ofc they all knew the teachers will see the books. And they all have the perfect excuse "It wasn't me! The kid who owned this before me did it!"

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-December-25, 06:04

I laughed at this: http://9gag.com/gag/abqmQeO

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-25, 06:16

View PostFluffy, on 2014-December-25, 06:04, said:

I laughed at this: http://9gag.com/gag/abqmQeO

When I click this I just get a page saying "not safe for work". So apparently it is one of those pictures which I should only load after having made sure the boss is not lurking.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-25, 06:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-25, 06:16, said:

When I click this I just get a page saying "not safe for work". So apparently it is one of those pictures which I should only load after having made sure the boss is not lurking.

Boss not lurking on Christmas I hope.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users