• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 08:51

Is it possible to replace this with 2waiting? 2nt always ruins the sequence

#2 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:26

That's quite a definitive claim. Do you have half a dozen examples where you got to a bad contract after a 2NT response?

#3 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:50

View PostBridgebum_, on 2014-December-10, 08:51, said:

Is it possible to replace this with 2waiting? 2nt always ruins the sequence

I'd hate to see that. Having SOME positive response is better than none, IMHO (which is supported by Marty Bergen and others).

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-10, 16:41

View Post42krunner, on 2014-December-10, 11:50, said:

I'd hate to see that. Having SOME positive response is better than none, IMHO (which is supported by Marty Bergen and others).

I don't think Bridgebum_ was suggesting get rid of all the positive responses (like 2/2/3/3)

If opener's primary suit is a major, 2N really burns up bidding space.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Bridgebum_ 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 18:29

View Postjohnu, on 2014-December-10, 11:26, said:

That's quite a definitive claim. Do you have half a dozen examples where you got to a bad contract after a 2NT response?

for example where I was going to rebid 2nt, all stayman and transfers are taken away, so do I just rebid 3nt or bid a 4 card suit?
Like I said awkward. Or where I have 5,4,3,1 the bid is a pushed up a level prematurely.

#6 User is offline   Bridgebum_ 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 18:39

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-December-10, 16:41, said:

I don't think Bridgebum_ was suggesting get rid of all the positive responses (like 2/2/3/3)

If opener's primary suit is a major, 2N really burns up bidding space.

I like the idea of the responder getting out of the way and allowing the 2 club opener the chance to fully describe their hand

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 20:51

I agree that 2NT as a natural response should be dumped. I don't think this response has been used by any strong pairs in 50 years. i guarantee you that Bergen does not advocate it.

Personally I would like to see 2H as an artificial negative and 2NT the H positive (5+, 2+ of top 3). Once weakness has been shown at responder's first opportunity, further calls are natural. Or with Qxxx, xxx, Qxxxx, x you could splinter in support of Spades if partner bids them.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 00:40

It is one thing to say that most players do not use 2N as a balanced positive.

It is another thing to say that there is another single specified treatment that is either more popular in the outside world or more popular among BBO players.

Another treatment with some following would be for it to be a transfer

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 00:48

View PostBridgebum_, on 2014-December-10, 18:29, said:

for example where I was going to rebid 2nt, all stayman and transfers are taken away, so do I just rebid 3nt or bid a 4 card suit?
Like I said awkward. Or where I have 5,4,3,1 the bid is a pushed up a level prematurely.

With the 2NT hand, you either show extra values at a low level, ie 2NT, or at a high level, how high and what bid??? since 2 almost always tells nothing about your hand. I think some systemic bids over 2NT would do what you want to do, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that big of a change to the bidding.

#10 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 00:55

View Postiandayre, on 2014-December-10, 20:51, said:

I agree that 2NT as a natural response should be dumped. I don't think this response has been used by any strong pairs in 50 years. i guarantee you that Bergen does not advocate it.

I have zero Bergen books so I have no idea if you are correct about his methods, but if you quote some pages from a book, I'm sure others can verify. If I sat down with an expert player and they bid 2NT, I would expect it to be about a positive, natural response. What else do you think it would be in an expert partnership if 2, 2, 3, 3 are all positive, natural bids?

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-11, 03:56

With no discussion DNE (unless we play 2 as artificial in which case 2NT shows hearts) but of course it ought to be something. Maybe 5-5 in the minors if we want to keep it simple and (otherwise) natural.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-12, 13:43

In another discussion bidding goes 2C-2H-2S-6N (ridiculous)

If Gib is going to take over the bidding as responder to 2 it doesn't matter what system you use. Responder should be describing their hand as best as possible not jumping to slam or using Blackwood/Keycard.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users