Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

taking the finesse ?

#1 User is offline   Roger_L 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 05:51

A few weeks ago I was leader in a 4♥-contract. After the dummy came on the table I counted 4 losers.

Dummy and my hand were holding 10 trumps together. The missing cards were King-x-x.

My LHO started with A. In dummy xxx. In my hand Qxx. LHO followed by a small . My RHO cashed the king and returned another spade, trumped by LHO.
I won the next trick in my hand and played a small . On the table you see AQJx. LHO followed by a small . What now ? Who has the king ?
I played the ace because the possibility of a 2-1 holding by the opponents is 78%. A 3-0 holding only 22%. And… my LHO was holding Kxx. Result: 1 down.

One of the best players of our club told my he ALWAYS take the finesse.
For me it’s difficult to believe I did wrong using the probabilities.

Who can give information ?
Thx

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 05:57

If you use vacant spaces, RHO has shown 5 cards (5 spades) and LHO 4(2 spades and 2 trumps- the low ones being forced). That leaves 9 spaces left for LHO and 8 for RHO, so LHO is a slight favourite to hold the K
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-10, 06:15

Let's ignore the additional information from the spade suit for now. A priori, the following trump holdings are possible:

A) Kxx void 11%
B) Kx x 26%
C) xx K 13%
D) x Kx 26%
E) K xx 13%
F) void Kxx 11%

LHO has shown up with 2 small cards so you are down to A or C. Indeed this would suggest playing the Ace is correct. However, given that LHO started with 2 spades and RHO started with 5 spades, the probabilities change to 15.14% for C and 17.03% for A, therefore the finesse is slightly better.

You can get these probabilities by using Richard Pavlicek's calculator:
http://www.rpbridge....cgi-bin/xsb2.pl

Give 11 and 8 vacant spaces and calculate the splits for 3 cards.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-10, 06:39

Forget the percentages arguments; these players are bean counters. Consider the lead; the lead from Ax is a pretty desperate lead, UNLESS you have a trump trick and hope to put partner in. Hence hook.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-10, 08:17

Why is Ax a desperate lead? I would have thought so 3 years ago, but changed my mind since I read Bird/Anthias and now rate the lead as "normal".

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:08

I would consider it to be an agressive lead, but not a desperation lead.

Furthermore, we were not provided with the auction. Perhaps a spade lead stands out.

#7 User is offline   Roger_L 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:28

to all: thx for the answers

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-10, 12:50

View Postthe hog, on 2014-December-10, 06:39, said:

Forget the percentages arguments; these players are bean counters. Consider the lead; the lead from Ax is a pretty desperate lead, UNLESS you have a trump trick and hope to put partner in. Hence hook.

This is silly.

The correct approach is more subtle, and requires (at the least) knowledge of the auction.

As Reese once wrote/said: there is no such thing as a blind opening lead, only a deaf opening leader (before bidding boxes or the internet, lol)

Thus one cannot draw inferences from an opening lead absent the auction and both dummy and declarer's holdings.

In addition, in some games, the lead of A from Ax is seen as 'standard'. It was definitely a common lead in my circles when I was a beginner, and I still see a lot of inexperienced players do it. So one needs to know something about the level of skill of our opps as well.

In the absence of such information, the bean counters rule, as they should.

Btw, these issues render the 'good player at the club' advice little better than yours. No good player would 'always' take the finesse, but maybe the quote was inexact or maybe the player didn't want to qualify the advice by noting that in reality this decision always depends on context. I think the correct advice would be: given what you have told us, and lacking any other information (which we would have at the table) then I would always finesse.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users