BBO Discussion Forums: all red, wd you take a 7 level sac? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

all red, wd you take a 7 level sac?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:20

From a team match on BBO. Random (but starred) partner, no clues as to what his preempt style is.

Would you bid one more?

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:32

i wouldn't have bid 3D but it seems to have worked, sort of. i save now
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:41

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-09, 12:20, said:

From a team match on BBO. Random (but starred) partner, no clues as to what his preempt style is.

Would you bid one more?

Yes

Assuming partner has any clue, we have a double-fit. It is possible that partner has both red Aces and possible that they cash, but the odds of RHO jumping to slam without first round control of at least one of those suits seems remote.

I expect to go 1100, and if that were the only upside, I wouldn't save, but partner could well be 2=6=4=1, with xx AJxxxx Qxxx x, and now they need a diamond ruff to collect the 1100 and we could easily escape for 800.

Note that our 3 call, which wasn't clearly best, has done two things. One is it has paved the way for the save, which we wouldn't consider had we not known of the double fit, and the other is that it made life easy for the opps.

I would have preferred 4, and I don't think that is allowing the result to influence me...after all, had I bid 4 and they still reached slam I'd never be saving. While suggesting a save can be useful one has to balance it against giving the opps an easy cuebid...thus 4 (if understood) wouldn't likely have helped any either.

As it is, I am going to assume that I went 'right' in bidding 3. If I wasn't intending to save I shouldn't have made the bid.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:42

Partner has not shown long only support. I pass to suggest I have one trick against slam, giving captaincy to partner.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:52

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-09, 12:41, said:

Note that our 3 call, which wasn't clearly best, has done two things. One is it has paved the way for the save, which we wouldn't consider had we not known of the double fit, and the other is that it made life easy for the opps.

I would have preferred 4...

I made the 3 bid thinking it'll be lead directing. Didn't really intend to sac over slam originally, I just wanted a better lead than the heart ace most likely ruffed, and I didn't expect to be left alone to play hearts anywhere lower than the 5th level. So my plan there was sac up to 5th level, while giving some info to pd along the way. Didn't consider it's helpful for opps too.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:58

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-09, 12:52, said:

I made the 3 bid thinking it'll be lead directing. Didn't really intend to sac over slam originally, I just wanted a better lead than the heart ace most likely ruffed, and I didn't expect to be left alone to play hearts anywhere lower than the 5th level. So my plan there was sac up to 5th level, while giving some info to pd along the way. Didn't consider it's helpful for opps too.

What contract did you think partner would be on lead against? Your spade stiff and partner's pre-empt make it seem to me about 99.9999999% that you will be on lead :D

The aforesaid percentage estimate is intended only as an approximation and ought not to be relied upon otherwise.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 13:10

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-09, 12:58, said:

What contract did you think partner would be on lead against? Your spade stiff and partner's pre-empt make it seem to me about 99.9999999% that you will be on lead :D

The aforesaid percentage estimate is intended only as an approximation and ought not to be relied upon otherwise.

uhm good point :P yeah, i thought he was on lead LOL

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 13:15

Anyway, I did sac, and we went for 1100. Pd wasn't happy with my choice so I wanted to check whether is was really so bad. Other table was in 4+1. Tough :)

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 15:14

East's bidding strikes me as odd. He is satisfied with a simple overcall, but then when he gets a limit raise, he flies to slam? It is suspicious enough to me that (1) I am not so sure 6 is making, and (2) I am not sure it will be bid at the other table. So, I do not sac.

disclosure, I did see the result before I posted that.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-09, 15:25

Unfortunately, I did see the result before I posted this. Nevertheless, I will plow through, as I had formed an opinion before even getting to Mike's post. I was surprised to see that he was in favor of the save.

There are two things that can go wrong with a sacrifice like this one:

(1) Slam goes down.
(2) A grand makes.

On this hand, I can't rule out either possibility.

Yes, the existence of our double fit makes it likely that 7 will go down less than the value of slam. It may even be much less - as Mike said, it might only be 800.

But the possibility that the opps may make 11 or 13 tricks rather than 12 must enter the picture. Our double fit may mean that the opps have a lot of black suit tricks avaialble.

Of course, even if the opponents can make 13 tricks, they may not bid the grand if we save. I would guess that if they do bid the grand, it is likely to make.

So, what to do? I think in the long run it is best to pass and hope that the opponents are wrong to be in exactly 6.

Last second thought - the JTx of clubs may be important on defense. Partner could have a singleton or doubleton Q.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-December-09, 15:40

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-09, 15:25, said:

Unfortunately, I did see the result before I posted this. Nevertheless, I will plow through, as I had formed an opinion before even getting to Mike's post. I was surprised to see that he was in favor of the save.

There are two things that can go wrong with a sacrifice like this one:

(1) Slam goes down.
(2) A grand makes.

On this hand, I can't rule out either possibility.

Yes, the existence of our double fit makes it likely that 7 will go down less than the value of slam. It may even be much less - as Mike said, it might only be 800.

But the possibility that the opps may make 11 or 13 tricks rather than 12 must enter the picture. Our double fit may mean that the opps have a lot of black suit tricks avaialble.

Of course, even if the opponents can make 13 tricks, they may not bid the grand if we save. I would guess that if they do bid the grand, it is likely to make.

So, what to do? I think in the long run it is best to pass and hope that the opponents are wrong to be in exactly 6.

Last second thought - the JTx of clubs may be important on defense. Partner could have a singleton or doubleton Q.

I don't argue strongly with the last two posts.

However, the jump to slam doesn't surprise me IF overcaller holds something like AQxxxx x Axx KQx and has inferred the stiff diamond over there, which in turn would imply long(ish) clubs, not that he needs more that KJxxx xx x Axxxx

Also, I don't think they are likely to bid the grand after the leap to small slam...there are two suits they need to have first round control of and I doubt that they can ever be sufficiently confident as to take the chance

Finally, it would be anti-percentage to play N to hold the club Q, when his most likely holding is a stiff AND the opps have bid slam on what is likely, even with the club Q, to be a combined 24 count.

I am actually surprised to learn that slam went down.

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-December-09, 16:10

I'd bid 4 at the first opportunity to speak.

But on the actual auction, I'm not so sure that I'd take the sac. -1100 is worth about an 8 IMP gain IF our teammates are voluntarily bidding to a makeable slam. If the slam is bid at both tables and doesn't make, -1100 loses us 15 IMPs. If our teammates aren't bidding to slam and it makes, we're saving about 3 IMPs by taking a -1100 instead of -1430. If slam goes down and our teammates are only in game at the other table, -1100 gives away 28 IMPs.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 16:54

I just saw the result and I am still saving.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-December-09, 17:01

View Postrmnka447, on 2014-December-09, 16:10, said:

I'd bid 4 at the first opportunity to speak.

But on the actual auction, I'm not so sure that I'd take the sac. -1100 is worth about an 8 IMP gain IF our teammates are voluntarily bidding to a makeable slam. If the slam is bid at both tables and doesn't make, -1100 loses us 15 IMPs. If our teammates aren't bidding to slam and it makes, we're saving about 3 IMPs by taking a -1100 instead of -1430. If slam goes down and our teammates are only in game at the other table, -1100 gives away 28 IMPs.

We agree on 4 and I hate the 3 bid, however I think sac'ing here is horrid and, as you've shown the IMP odds don't come any where near justifying it.

#15 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 17:08

What 2 tricks did we get? Two bullets? HA and a deep club? A trump!?

#16 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 17:09

How come your topic is so much more popular than mine Diana :)

#17 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 00:50

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-December-09, 17:09, said:

How come your topic is so much more popular than mine Diana :)

Yours made the news~!

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 00:54

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-December-09, 17:08, said:

What 2 tricks did we get? Two bullets? HA and a deep club? A trump!?

Turns out partner was the one painting the table, after all. And I just noticed it was -5, not -4 :) Not that it mattered much at that point.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-10, 02:35

I saw the result as well, so my answer is biased. I would definitely not save. I find Art's arguments convincing and agree with them. By the way, opening 2H vulnerable on this hand? Please! I also think the 6S bid was not the best with xxx in clubs.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 04:01

I rarely take equal color saves and see no reason to start now. Although saving may be "right" my hand is not so great even if we do happen to have this big 2 suited fit. It would not hve been my choice to ever introduce diamonds. This auction does not tell me the enemy have a cold slam, why should I believe it? Sure my LHO bid it to make, has he never been wrong? When we bid 3D should partner take the view that I don't have it? He could have 3D for all I know, so I am going to pass and hope I got it right.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users