BBO Discussion Forums: all red, wd you take a 7 level sac? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

all red, wd you take a 7 level sac?

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-10, 09:03

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-10, 00:54, said:

Turns out partner was the one painting the table, after all. And I just noticed it was -5, not -4 :) Not that it mattered much at that point.

The hand proves nothing other than that it is not possible to play thinking bridge with an idiot as a partner. Opening that N had with a 1st seat weak 2 is moronic and anti-partnership. Imagine x AJxxxx Qxxx xx, which happens to be a minimum 1st seat red weak 2 and is consistent with 5, and the save looks pretty good. 2=6=4=1 and it is even better

were partner known to be unreliable than we wouldn't ever save
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-10, 09:31

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-10, 09:03, said:

The hand proves nothing other than that it is not possible to play thinking bridge with an idiot as a partner. Opening that N had with a 1st seat weak 2 is moronic and anti-partnership. Imagine x AJxxxx Qxxx xx, which happens to be a minimum 1st seat red weak 2 and is consistent with 5, and the save looks pretty good. 2=6=4=1 and it is even better

were partner known to be unreliable than we wouldn't ever save

Yes I knew who'd get an ATB on that one if I posted the whole hand. I was more interested to evaluate how reasonable it is to think about sacrificing assuming pd is not clueless. Sometimes I'm so far off in high level sacs that I needed to check.

#23 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 09:55

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-10, 09:31, said:

Yes I knew who'd get an ATB on that one if I posted the whole hand. I was more interested to evaluate how reasonable it is to think about sacrificing assuming pd is not clueless. Sometimes I'm so far off in high level sacs that I needed to check.

I thought it was an interesting question, and credit to you for asking it in the way you did rather than an ATB. I looked at the title of the thread and thought "that's easy - I know the answer to that one. NO!" Then I looked at the hand and thought "actually I'm less sure of the answer than I thought I would be".

#24 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:04

saving is just terrible bridge, i would never save
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#25 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-10, 11:54

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-10, 00:50, said:

Yours made the news~!

i can retire now!!!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#26 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 13:08

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-10, 09:03, said:

The hand proves nothing other than that it is not possible to play thinking bridge with an idiot as a partner.

I'm not impressed with east either, but I guess that is west's problem not mine.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#27 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-10, 13:41

View Postbillw55, on 2014-December-10, 13:08, said:

I'm not impressed with east either, but I guess that is west's problem not mine.

That was my initial reaction as well, but if he can infer that S's 3 was based on a heart fit, looking for a 5-level save, and this isn't necessarily a fair inference, then he can legitimately expect no more than 1 red loser. I would discount the idea of a heart void, since I think W would bid 4 with that. So now he is thinking: nothing in hearts, noting in diamonds, and the spade K.....what are his clubs? AQJxx is enough to make this a reasonable slam, since N rates to hold only red values for the 5 call.

I wouldn't go so far as to agree with the decision to bid slam, but it is far less offensive to me than the ridiculous 2 opening. I didn't like the 3 call much either.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users