• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To save or not to save

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-09, 09:00

IMPs, 24-board match vs reasonable-standard opps. Opps are vul, you're not.

ahydra

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-09, 09:02

Pard probably has some spades and didn't double. We got a little extra offense, so yes, save.

4NT, showing minors with some heart tolerance. Hopefully pard will get the message :)

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-09, 09:47

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-December-09, 09:02, said:

Pard probably has some spades and didn't double. We got a little extra offense, so yes, save.

4NT, showing minors with some heart tolerance. Hopefully pard will get the message :)

if we save, and that is a big 'if', as I will come to, 4N shows longer diamonds than clubs and would not, in any method with which I am familiar, say anything about hearts. Classically, 4N would show a 2 card discrepancy....say 7=5, a holding with which we would certainly be strongly considering a 5 level contract. Given the auction, I'd maybe allow for 6=5, but always longer diamonds.

I don't know of any way of involving hearts.

However, saving is an interesting notion given that we can expect S to hold hearts and clubs as well as a big hand with spades...he did, after all, make a takeout double of diamonds.

My guess is that the save works here, since I suspect that this is the reason the problem was posted, but I think the save to be a bad call. If we wanted to do it, we have to bid 5.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 10:46

If the dive works it's too often petty cash (500 against 620) and a much larger loss when the bad breaks beat 4. Why should their suits split badly but ours don't? Partners 1 bid could be short diamonds and a piece of cheese.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-09, 12:16

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-09, 09:47, said:

4N shows longer diamonds than clubs and would not, in any method with which I am familiar, say anything about hearts.

That's how I used to play it as well. Mentioned it as possibly hearts because I don't know what's standard around here.

Still, wouldn't ou consider it with a very offensive 6-4, say: void JTx KQJT9x AQJx? (hypothetical hand, of c.)

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-10, 05:48

I had this hand and opted to take the sac by bidding 4NT. Partner removed to 5H with Jxxx A109xxx Jx x or similar, and went two off doubled. Unfortunately it wasn't the bad splits that made this a bad choice - diamonds 3-3 meant 4S was off one :( (I think the doubler had a big 4333 hand)

At the other table team-mates misplayed 4SX to go three (!) off for 13 imps out.

I must admit I thought the sac was pretty safe here. I've only got 1.5 defensive tricks, it's unlikely partner will come up with 2.5 more, and he hasn't doubled so it sounds like a good 9- or 10-card fit for opps. However on reflection I think mikeh and ggwhiz are right - it's too risky, even at this vul, when LHO has big strength in clubs and partner almost certainly doesn't have a diamond fit.

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users