• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very Unusual versus Unusual

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-08, 04:32

Vulnerable against not, partner opens 1, 2+ clubs, most often 11-13 balanced. RHO bids 2NT showing the red suits.

JT9842
-
J2
AJ973

Your call? (Agreement is UvU, double shows penalty interest.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2014-December-08, 06:40

--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-08, 07:59

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-08, 04:32, said:

Vulnerable against not, partner opens 1, 2+ clubs, most often 11-13 balanced. RHO bids 2NT showing the red suits.
J T 9 8 4 2 - J 2 A J 9 7 3
Your call? (Agreement is UvU, double shows penalty interest.)
IMO 3 = 10, 3 = 9, Pass = 8. Although 3 is non-forcing, there is likely to be further bidding. When you later bid , partner may expect your s to be longer than your s but, at least, he'll realize that you're just competing with shape. Given that 3 would be forcing with , perhaps 4 could mean a hand like this (by agreement). These actions are all a bit fraught, especially at the vulnerability -- although opener will quite often have 4+s.

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 09:07

This situation feels tactical rather than technical.

My instinct is to just bid 4S and hope that jams their auction.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 09:48

Whatever you play bidding 3 of a red suit shows (forcing with spades or clubs etc.) It makes sense that 3 should be fit showing.

Mind you that agreement is hindsight for me never having found the need to discuss it with partner before.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-08, 10:00

This is a real problem hand. Playing U/U, a 3 bid is nonforcing. Typically, 3 would show a strong club raise and 3 would show a strong hand with a spade suit. 3 would be natural and nonforcing (but encouraging). Others may have variations of this agreement, but I believe that this is the most common agreement for U/U on this auction.

Unfortunately, this hand doesn't fall in neatly with any of these categories. I might try 3 and, if it is doubled and passed back to me, bid 4. 4 directly on JT98xx could be suicidal. Imagine what would happen if partner has the death hand - 2-4-4-3 with 2 small spades and the suits are arranged around the table as you might expect them to be - black suits on your left, red suits on your right. Still, you have 6 spades and you really should show them.

Also, if you bid 4 partner will not be in a position to overrule you, even if he holds something like -- KJxx AQx Kxxxxx. 4 is not a cooperative call. Doubled or not, you will be on your own.

Your spots in the spade suit should protect you from going for a large number if you choose to bid 4. But you could very easily be in the wrong contract.

#7 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-December-08, 11:45

3 and 3 show a better hand than this. 4 is a better suit. 4 leaves a 6/3 or 6/4 fit out of the picture.

That leaves 3. I make that call, and then bid clubs on my next round unless something weird happens.
Become yourself.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 12:49

What would 4h show? There must be a way to show black suits but I don't think it is clear that 4s shows that unless I am a passed hand

3s looks obvious but I have no plan what to do over their 4h.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 15:02

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-December-08, 09:48, said:

Whatever you play bidding 3 of a red suit shows (forcing with spades or clubs etc.) It makes sense that 3 should be fit showing.

Mind you that agreement is hindsight for me never having found the need to discuss it with partner before.

Fit for what? Are you saying 3 should show 6 clubs?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-08, 15:07

Would p have opened 1d with a balanced hanf with four diamonds? If so, we know we have a good fit somewhere.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-December-08, 15:33

Sorry - I don't know what I was thinking when I said in my prior post that partner might be 2443 and open 1. That is obviously wrong.

He could be 2434, which is not much better.

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 15:42

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-08, 15:07, said:

Would p have opened 1d with a balanced hanf with four diamonds? If so, we know we have a good fit somewhere.

No, we open 1 even on 3352.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-December-08, 16:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-08, 12:49, said:

3s looks obvious but I have no plan what to do over their 4h.

Maybe bidding 4S in that sequence over 4H should imply a hand like this?
If we could just bid to 4S on our own, we wouldn't make a non-forcing 3S bid.

(Obviously, it would be better to agree to some fit-showing bid directly, but who did?)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-December-08, 16:47

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-08, 15:42, said:

No, we open 1 even on 3352.

In that case, I withdraw my correction.

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 16:59

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-08, 15:02, said:

Fit for what? Are you saying 3 should show 6 clubs?

You're kidding right? Fit jumps typically promise 9 cards when the anchor suit is a major but maybe it should show ten when the opening is an ambiguous club.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 17:08

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-December-08, 16:59, said:

You're kidding right? Fit jumps typically promise 9 cards when the anchor suit is a major but maybe it should show ten when the opening is an ambiguous club.

OK, so you're saying 3 should show 7 or 8 clubs? Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree to the point where I'm not even going to bother discussing it.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-08, 19:23

Bidding clubs first then spades is laying a trap for partner. 4 overstates the spade suit by length and strength while 3 is honest on one of those...the most important.

The one drawback to spades now is that we'll have to bid 5 over 4. However, that pales in comparison to the misleading effect of clubs now and spades later. In highly competitive auctions, where it is impossible to say who can make what, get your shape across if you want partner to ever be able to bid intelligently. Showing a constructive, nf hand with (usually) 6 spades and then showing real club length is a pretty fair description so why choose any other course?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-09, 04:36

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-08, 17:08, said:

OK, so you're saying 3 should show 7 or 8 clubs? Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree to the point where I'm not even going to bother discussing it.

I think you misunderstood, ggwhiz obviously didn't mean (10-2)=8 clubs, but rather ten black cards in responder's hand.

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-December-09, 04:54

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-08, 19:23, said:

Bidding clubs first then spades is laying a trap for partner. 4 overstates the spade suit by length and strength while 3 is honest on one of those...the most important.

The one drawback to spades now is that we'll have to bid 5 over 4.

First off, I agree with you that bidding clubs first, then spades, doesn't work. We might do the same with 4-6 the other way in the black suits.

But I still wonder what to do over 4 after 3 (which I would do also). The most likely hand for partner at this point is a balanced hand with exactly 2 spades (weak and balanced is already the most likely hand to start with; it gets even more likely given that RHO has the red suits and I have the black suits). He could be 2=4=4=3 or 2=3=5=3 or 2=3=3=5 or 2=3=4=4, etc. Obviously, if we knew partner had the balanced hand, we would bid 4 not 5.

Is "most likely balanced" strong enough indication to make us bid 4 opposite his ambiguous opening, too?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 06:03

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-09, 04:36, said:

I think you misunderstood, ggwhiz obviously didn't mean (10-2)=8 clubs, but rather ten black cards in responder's hand.

Oh... so he wants to play 4 in potentially a 4-2 fit? I guess that's ... equally ridiculous.
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users