• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defense against Polish 1C

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 20:19

The story (which I think I got from Sobel's book, but my memory...) of Vic Mitchell's "Nuttin' System": as the NPC of the U.S. team, one of the pairs came up and said "these next opponents are playing all these crazy things" (likely something as odd as Neapolitan Club or the like, this being then). "What do we do?" Vic sez "Nuttin'". "What?" "Nuttin'. Until the auction ends, don't ask, don't think, just bid as if all their bids are natural. At the end of the auction, find out what they showed, and lead."

Still works, especially against the kind of Precision (or Polish, or Swedish, ... Club) pairs that feel much more comfortable if the opponents let them confirm they're on the same page - especially if they're the type that assume that everybody plays contagion against their strong club with nothing, and "take you" for +160 or +260...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-January-07, 02:06

My recollection is different.
Flint/Sheehan played a system which switched Pass and 1 and a US pair had a misunderstanding about (1)-2.

Armstrong was playing two partnerships: with Kirby playing precision; and with Forrester playing TRS.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#23 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-17, 21:09

I quite like 1-level natural and 2-2NT whatever defense you play over a weak NT.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users