• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who should do more?

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-December-06, 20:37

2 is 11+ with hearts and diamonds five-five.

Should anyone bid differently?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-06, 22:16

Well, North is certainly strong enough to introduce his hearts at the 3- or even 4-level, so he could consider starting with 2, but then of course he risks a raise from East and 4 from West before it gets back to him.

If the vulnerability were reversed I would suggest that South could bid more slowly to clarify that he is planning to make, not to sac, but at this vulnerability it should be clear he at least sees a decent shot to make it.

Given that, can North make another move? I don't think so, there are a lot of hands South could hope to make 5 with that don't offer any shot at 6.

This certainly could have been bid differently by either side but I wouldn't go so far as to say the actual bidding contained a clear mistake.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-December-07, 04:03

I think even if it may not be obvious, I believe North should have done more. I mean, what was he thinking when his pd jumped to 5, vulnerable, missing AKQ of trumps? Saving? To be honest South does not even have what he is supposed to have for his bidding at these colors. Why 5? Why not even seek for 3 NT when only suit he fears is the one that pd said he has 5 of them. North is much stronger than his minimum, he has an extra trump, he has a void. I know South would probably bid the same way if you change his spade A to a club (which would actually make more sense to me) but then again who knows they might have led clubs after N bids 6, to pitch spades on clubs.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 04:35

East and South both passed and west opens S. Over the 2S bid E again passes and partner bids 5D it is very good news and I can't bring myself to pass as N. Although I am not 100% sure it looks like partner needs just 1 major suit ace to make, and I feel this is a reasonable assumption. As a passed hand I am not sure what the follow ups are after the 2S bid for responder, but I would have bid 3S as S showing a better hand, I want partner to know I have a good hand for game.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-07, 04:41

Bidding is perfectly fine. Claiming North should move is resulting.

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 05:07

both. south made a pretty bad bid, but there aren't many sensible 5d bids that don't have a major ace so north could have given it a go anyway.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 19:11

Who should have done less?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-December-07, 19:14

I really don't like the 5 bid. I don't think we are a favourite to make it, and obviously there is no need to preempt anyone.
And in fact, slam is probably more biddable over the value-bid of 4 - North bids 5, and South goes on.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-December-07, 20:07

View Postcherdano, on 2014-December-07, 19:14, said:

I really don't like the 5 bid. I don't think we are a favourite to make it, and obviously there is no need to preempt anyone.
And in fact, slam is probably more biddable over the value-bid of 4 - North bids 5, and South goes on.

Even after the fact we were not sure what various bids would mean as we were an unpracticed partnership.

2NT - naturalish? - maybe better as some sort of invite since there is no cue below 4

3 - natural? forcing?

3 - weak preference

3 - weak preference

3 - cue = ?

3NT - seems impossible for this to be to play as a passed hand

4 ?

4 - invite or preempt? what about at different vulnerabilities

4 - to play

4 ?

4NT ?

5 ?

5 to play

Anyone have more insight into how it is best to play these?

What differences when the responder is not a passed hand?

How do you aim for 3NT and keep diamonds in the picture if partner is minimum?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-08, 08:58

View PostCascade, on 2014-December-06, 20:37, said:

2 is 11+ with hearts and diamonds five-five.
Should anyone bid differently?
IMO 5 is pre-emptive and non-constructive but you can't blame North for bidding 6. Perhaps, South should have tried 2N or 3N.

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-09, 17:59

I would have invited with 2n but if south is going to insist on
5d they should take advantage of 4s and 5c to cue their side ace
and save 5d for a hand with no outside first round control (heart
ace instead for ex).

Given the bidding N has to believe their partner has no side ace
and realize it is at best a 5050 shot for slam to make. What would
you bid as south with xxxxx void xxxxxx KQ I know I would have to
hazard a 5d bid just as I would with xxxx A xxxx KQxx.

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-December-09, 21:13

Tough hand, IRL I think I would also have bid 5D but im not sure what I would have done with north hand. Maybe south can afford to take his time since hes got 4 spades.

north could easily be

x
Axxxx
AKxxx
Ax

and 6 is vgood.

maybe north can take the push after all, he just need a Major ace. South bid 5D to make so its unlikely he doesnt have a M ace imo.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users