BBO Discussion Forums: gib bids 4S with 3433 opposite t/o of hearts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gib bids 4S with 3433 opposite t/o of hearts and then finds partner with 6 of them argh!!!!

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-06, 12:50

Link to hand

Rebate tourney. My 4H bid probably wouldn't be approved, but East with his 3433 surely just has a normal pass here. The way my luck's been going last few days, I should be lucky dummy only had 6 spades lol. Naturally I didn't think to give North a club ruff (though my diamond shift should probably have beaten it anyway).
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-06, 13:36

Under the conditions of contest your 4H is spot on. Knowing that partner has no more HCP than you, while there is an outside chance of slam if opener has shape, the prospects that derive from suggesting to the opponents that you have a weaker but trump rich hand outweigh the slam prospects. It is a bit like a 4M response to 1M opener in precision, but with even more safety.

East did rather well to bid 4S, given that 4H is making (I think!!)

But I wonder whether West should prefer 4S over X?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-06, 17:37

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-December-06, 13:36, said:

But I wonder whether West should prefer 4S over X?

Sure Gib has 3+ in all unbid suits but won't it look silly if East Gib bids 5 on 4 cards with 2-3? I'd bid 4.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-07, 02:52

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-December-06, 17:37, said:

Sure Gib has 3+ in all unbid suits but won't it look silly if East Gib bids 5 on 4 cards with 2-3? I'd bid 4.

He may be trying to cater for the possibility that East wants to pass for penalties, which bidding 4S removes from the pool.. But I would still bid 4S on that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users