• You cannot reply to this topic

feel like doing a tricky 3NT?

#1 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-05, 20:04

Matchpoints

LHO leads a 4th best 5 of hearts, to the king and ace.

Now what?

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 21:33

First thing we do is recognize the importance of the dia K as
the only secure entry to dummy and we eliminate any thought of
playing a dia to the K and a club to our hand because the club
suit is dead if anyone holds Axx and hold up 2 rounds.

If heart break 53 then we need to try and make sure lho cannot
obtain the lead after the hearts are cleared and our best chance
at that is to just lay down the club K at trick 2 and hope lho did
not begin with specifically JTx of clubs (when clubs break 32). We
can then come to 3c 2d 2h 2s.

If clubs do not break for us having the dia K as a back up entry
gives us a chance to go for 4s 1c 2d 2h at least its better than nothing:)

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-December-06, 10:44

Complicated hand. After a few minutes thought, my choice is small club to the Q.

Any other line risks going down when LHO has the Ac (having led J high hearts).

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-December-07, 17:50

Tried x to the Q. That lost and a heart came back, for the 10 and J, and another one. LHO had JTx and 5 hearts, so that was 1 down.

I wondered if I had played it right. Seems like not much better is available. THX!

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-December-07, 18:18

It might be better to play off the AK of spades - if the Q10 is doubleton, we win - if the Q is doubleton with a small card, we can then back down the K of clubs and still have the diamond finesse to fall back upon.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-07, 18:28

• Leading x to Q works when LHO has A, or any doubleton .
  • Leading K (Gszes' line) wins when LHO has any doubleton or ATx or AJx or Jxx or Txx or (You next finesse dummy's 9). It also works when LHO has Axx unless he cunningly ducks K, in tempo.
Removed the word singleton from whereagles' line (the first one), increasing the number of favourable cases.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2014-December-08, 10:12

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-December-07, 19:31

I led to the Q in hope of doubleton club in LHO or Axx. If the Q holds, I'd play back to the K next and be safe from a heart continuation.

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 00:03

View Postnige1, on 2014-December-07, 18:28, said:

• Leading x to Q works when LHO has A singleton, or any doubleton .
  • Leading K (Gszes' line) wins when LHO has any doubleton or ATx or AJx or Jxx or Txx or (You next finesse dummy's 9). It also works when LHO has Axx unless he cunningly ducks K, in tempo.

As whereeagles points out, small to the Q (then small to the K) always picks up LHO holding the A (Although there is still work to be done if it's AJTx].

Starting with the K and then playing small to the 9 does win if LHO holds Jxx or Txx (and loses on singleton Ace). However, LHO ducking the K holding Ace third is so obvious that even I would manage to find that play in tempo! The main layout this caters to is declarer holding KJx but not the A. The fact that you don't have an appealing continuation and want to preserve the A as a late entry to the hearts makes it even more clear. Now Gszes line will go down when LHO holds Axx, ATx (and even AJx if LHO unblocks the J).

That's not to say that starting with the K is obviously wrong. It just feels like a solid defender who has led a J high long suit is at least a slight favourite to have the missing Ace...

And regarding WinstonM's idea to start with AK. That feels wrong because it might doom the contract when hearts were 4/4 all along (and any other reasonable line would make)!

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-December-08, 06:45

View PostWesleyC, on 2014-December-08, 00:03, said:

As whereeagles points out, small to the Q (then small to the K) always picks up LHO holding the A (Although there is still work to be done if it's AJTx].

Starting with the K and then playing small to the 9 does win if LHO holds Jxx or Txx (and loses on singleton Ace). However, LHO ducking the K holding Ace third is so obvious that even I would manage to find that play in tempo! The main layout this caters to is declarer holding KJx but not the A. The fact that you don't have an appealing continuation and want to preserve the A as a late entry to the hearts makes it even more clear. Now Gszes line will go down when LHO holds Axx, ATx (and even AJx if LHO unblocks the J).

That's not to say that starting with the K is obviously wrong. It just feels like a solid defender who has led a J high long suit is at least a slight favourite to have the missing Ace...

And regarding WinstonM's idea to start with AK. That feels wrong because it might doom the contract when hearts were 4/4 all along (and any other reasonable line would make)!
WesleyC is right that both lines win when LHO has a doubleton or tripleton AJT. Whereagles line makes an extra trick when LHO has Axx (1 case). Both lines also succeed when LHO has ATx or AJx. IMO, however, Gszes line is better because it's also successful when LHO has Jxx or Txx (6 cases) provided he has led a from length.

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-December-08, 09:45

View PostWesleyC, on 2014-December-08, 00:03, said:

I don't see how cashing the AK of spades "dooms the contract". If the spades are 4/2, there is no defensive communication in spades and, regardless, the Q cannot be cashed without setting up a 3rd trick for declarer. If the spade Q does not come down doubleton, one can still lead the club K from hand and hope for the club Ax or Axx in LHO. If the club Ace is on the right and a heart comes back and the 10 loses, the spade Queen still cannot be cashed without setting up a 3rd spade trick, allowing the chance that the long club is not with the spade Queen.

I think the idea to cash the AK of spades gives numerous extra chances for a make without banking totally on clubs.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-08, 12:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-December-08, 09:45, said:

I don't see how cashing the AK of spades "dooms the contract". If the spades are 4/2, there is no defensive communication in spades and, regardless, the Q cannot be cashed without setting up a 3rd trick for declarer. If the spade Q does not come down doubleton, one can still lead the club K from hand and hope for the club Ax or Axx in LHO.

My comment was that cashing the AK of spades **MIGHT** doom the contract.

If LHO has led from a hand similar to: [Qxx Jxx5 xxxx xx] and you cash the AK then contract is doomed (Losing 2, 2, Q). However, as long as you avoid creating a 5th trick for the defence you will always come to 9 tricks first (3 2 2 2). By retaining the AK, you also keep your options open later in the hand if clubs break very badly.

WesleyC is right that both lines win when LHO has a doubleton ♣ or tripleton ♣AJT. Whereagles line makes an extra trick when LHO has ♣Axx (1 case). Both lines also succeed when LHO has ♣ATx or ♣AJx.

But K and then small to the 9 doesn't work on ATx or AJx (if LHO ducks/unblocks twice) assuming the lead was from Jxxxx. RHO wins the second round with the J/T and clears hearts while LHO still has the A?

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-December-08, 17:41

View PostWesleyC, on 2014-December-08, 12:26, said:

But K and then small to the 9 doesn't work on ATx or AJx (if LHO ducks/unblocks twice) assuming the lead was from Jxxxx. RHO wins the second round with the J/T and clears hearts while LHO still has the A?
If you start winning K, while LHO plays a peculiar J or T, then, at the next trick, you play x to dummy's Q. You pay off to JTx with LHO -- but in that case, you would have have lost out, anyway, if defenders hadn't indulged in their weird Grosvener Gambit :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users