BBO Discussion Forums: Why bid a suit over 3NT to show shortness in that suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why bid a suit over 3NT to show shortness in that suit

#1 User is offline   tx10s 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-04, 18:37

Can anyone explain why bidding 4 of a suit over a 3NT bid to show shortness is a good idea? This bid comes up every time a robot bids 2S over partner's 1NT opener to show 5-4 in the minors and 3S over a 2NT opener. Every time this bid has come up to me, I have never had a fit for the minor suits and the robot has always had a 3-1 distribution in the majors. I figure by bidding NT, the player is showing no fit for the minors and having the major suits covered. When the program insists on bidding its short suit, the player is then stuck trying to bid a bad fit at the 5 level. The only option is to bid your 3 card suit at the 5 level, but that has never yielded a good result. I know you can get around this by bidding 2NT after a 1NT-p-2S-p sequence, but there is not way to avoid this problem in a 2NT-p-3S-p sequence. Every thime this has come up, the robot bid of 4 of a major has taken me out of a makeable 3NT contract.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-04, 22:22

Hi tx10s, welcome to the forum. You may have been looking for the "GIB Discussion Forum", it is a bit further down.

Also, isn't 2NT-3; 3NT-3M; 4NT to play? Of course if the bot is making these bids with insufficient strength for 4NT, that's a problem.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   tx10s 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 20:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-04, 22:22, said:

Hi tx10s, welcome to the forum. You may have been looking for the "GIB Discussion Forum", it is a bit further down.

Also, isn't 2NT-3; 3NT-3M; 4NT to play? Of course if the bot is making these bids with insufficient strength for 4NT, that's a problem.

I tried that and the robot then bid 5C, promising 6 but only having 5 to the K nothing.

#4 User is offline   tx10s 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 20:33

View Posttx10s, on 2014-December-05, 20:31, said:

I tried that and the robot then bid 5C, promising 6 but only having 5 to the K nothing.

Sorry, I forgot to say thanks about where to post my question. I will move it now.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-06, 01:02

View Posttx10s, on 2014-December-05, 20:33, said:

Sorry, I forgot to say thanks about where to post my question. I will move it now.

You should let the forum moderators move the thread, instead of starting a duplicate. I'm closing this one now. The new thread is here:

http://www.bridgebas...105#entry823105

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users