Page 1 of 1

24 HCP 4441 What should I open?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-December-04, 03:20

I had this hand yesterday.
We play Benji weak 2 Hearts/Spades with a strong 2.

I understand that 2 requires 8 playing tricks, and for long suits the ace, king and queen are counted together with all cards in excess of 3 in the suit; for short suits, only clear winner combinations are counted, and a Singleton K does not count as a playing trick. i don't have any long suits, but if I assume 7 playing tricks in the majors (hoping one will break) that still leaves me with only 7 playing tricks.
Should I open 2NT, or if I open 2 and partner responds 2(relay) do I rebid 2NT or 3NT?

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-December-04, 04:13

Its only 22.

I would open 2NT. If the diamonds were better I might be tempted to open 1. If I had 24 you are starting to get no alternative to 2 and rebid 2NT.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-04, 04:18

I think 2NT (or 2 followed by a 2NT rebid) is practical. K is more likely to take a trick if you become declarer, especially if you pretend to have a balanced hand.

Two important points:
- when considering a 2 (or 2), always ask yourself what your rebid is. Here the heart suit is probably not long enough to bid so your rebid is going to be 2NT. This means you have to chose the opening that is suitable for a balanced 22 (or whatever you evaluate this hand as).
- Opening (or rebidding) 2NT makes the auction very easy. Partner will ususally know how to procede (transfer or stayman). Auctions that start with 2/ followed by a suit rebid are much more murky: does responder's next bid show length or merely a stopper? Which (if any) part score bids can be passed? Which 4-level bids are natural and which are cues? So when in doubt, chose a 2NT opening or rebid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-04, 10:59

Yes, it is 22 in HCP. It feels like less, however. I am one of those weirdos who don't put much value to a singleton King at the outset of an auction ---when deciding what to open.

What fun to open 1D..the only suit in which I don't have anything worthwhile, but auctions which start with 2N are called the "death auctions" for a reason, and I will avoid them when more than one flaw is present.

So, here is the minority vote for 1D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-December-04, 12:19

agree I will start 1d

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-04, 12:40

I think opening 1 on jxxx with this hand is crazy. Put me down for showing a balanced 22 count, which in my methods is 2 but for some would be 2N.

For the 1 bidders, consider that opposite some Jxx Jxx xxx Qxxx we are playing 1 with good play for 3N. Not to mention how messy the auction might get after 1 and anyone else bids.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-December-04, 12:49

I'll bid this as a balanced 22.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-December-05, 01:00

I'm also treating this as a "balanced" 22 opener. If any other spot card in the hand were a , you bid it that way. So you're off from a true 22 balanced by only one card. Bidding it as balanced also makes it unlikely that lose a major fit when one exists.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 01:55

The OP is playing Benji. Can I assume he plays Acol? In that case this is a 1 opening for me - though I am no Acol expert. In a four card major system at least I don't have to open 1.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-05, 02:45

It is a 1h opening if you want to open at the 1level. Do you upgrade the spades to a five card suit?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 03:14

to the op, in future you should probably spell your system out more. 'benji' means nothing to most people on here. it's basically not played outside Britain (NZ or australia maybe?), though the 2 openers are popular in France.

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 07:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-December-05, 02:45, said:

It is a 1h opening if you want to open at the 1level. Do you upgrade the spades to a five card suit?

No. I just never played Acol and thought 1 was the normal opening bid on a 4441. (I vaguely remembered something like "suit below the singleton".) If I am wrong and it is 1 then that will be my choice.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-December-05, 15:06

2N (opened or rebid) is probably right on this because its a short minor. With a short major I am much less inclined.

I was recently flamed on BW for suggesting A AJx AKxx AQJxx (something like that) was better opened 1 so perhaps do not listen to me :(
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-05, 15:52

View PostPhil, on 2014-December-05, 15:06, said:

2N (opened or rebid) is probably right on this because its a short minor. With a short major I am much less inclined.

I was recently flamed on BW for suggesting A AJx AKxx AQJxx (something like that) was better opened 1 so perhaps do not listen to me :(

Heck, even I would flame you :D

Seriously, for a number of years I get a very informal track of the highest number of hcp I held where I wouldn't open 2. I have had 2 23 counts that I opened at the one-level, and both of them, not coincidentally, featured stiff Kings. I discount stiff Kings, when opening, far more than I'd think of discounting a stiff Ace.

It's not that I would like opening 2 with your A AJx AKxx AQJxx, but 9 controls, and a 4 loser hand is just a tad too much even for me, and I thought I was probably the most conservative 2 bidder around.

Having said that, don't ask me for my rebid.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-06, 06:07

By the way, even playing Acol (with the standard agreement that this shape opens 1, at least if you have a minimum hand), you might open 1 with this hand because with 4441 types you usually have to pretent to have a 5-card suit and then you rather lie about a minor.

#16 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-06, 13:51

Show it as a balanced hand!

#17 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2014-December-26, 21:23

View Postmike777, on 2014-December-04, 12:19, said:

agree I will start 1d

Absolutely. Unless your 2 structure has followups for 4441. I'm guessing not ;)
(No comment)

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-December-26, 22:41

View Postjgillispie, on 2014-December-26, 21:23, said:

Absolutely. Unless your 2 structure has followups for 4441. I'm guessing not ;)

Or our 2D 4-4-4-1 has followups for 23-25.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 02:39

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-December-05, 07:18, said:

No. I just never played Acol and thought 1 was the normal opening bid on a 4441. (I vaguely remembered something like "suit below the singleton".) If I am wrong and it is 1 then that will be my choice.

Rik

I think spades were opened on those hands until the 1970s.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users