• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Serious are you?

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-02, 15:05

Partner opens 1 (5 cards, 11+ points even at this vulnerability) and you respond with a game-forcing 2 (also promising 5). Partner raises and you must decide whether to show serious slam interest with a 4 cuebid (also denying a spade cue) or to bid a frivolous 3. (With total trash 4 would just barely be allowed but we don't have that obviously).

What do you choose, and how different would the hand have to be for you to change your mind?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-02, 15:08

4c no problem yet this is a huge hand, 5 losers.

I expect my next bid will be 4s rkc in h.

pard may have:

KQJxx...xxx...xx....KQx
an adjusted 8 loser hand

but I will risk it.

btw2 with my example hand I would prefer 4h as fast arrival to show this dead minimum, not a picture bid.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-December-02, 15:23

Think will depend on opener's holding, think you should let your partner know your really interested in slam.

So bid Serious 3N if your playing that.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-02, 15:35

I am so serious that I would probably go to slam myself. If not I am definitely starting a serious cue. Otherwise we can not possibly make him cooperate with his xxx or xxxx trumps.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-02, 15:44

As a strong advocate of loser count, I think I can safely say that this is not a hand for loser count. The hand contains 7 winners - no more, no less. It has control of both minors and solid trump. I will make a 4 cue bid but then sit back unless partner shows serious interest of his own.

He could have a magical hand like AKQxxx xxx xx Ax and we can make 13 tricks if spades are 3-2. Add the J and we will almost always make 13 tricks. Or he could have this magical hand:

AKxxx
876x
x
Axx

13 virtually cold tricks in hearts (Pard might have bid 4 on these cards, so it may be a bit much to hope for this hand - but change a club to a diamond and you still make 6 easily).

Sure, there are hands he could have where game is the limit:

KQJxx
xxxx
Jx
KQ

or

QJTxx
xxxx
KQ
KQ

Let's see what he does over 4.

#6 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-02, 16:55

You have to make a serious try, slam is cold opposite a perfect minimum. To answer your other question I think with the K of diamonds instead of the A, having a stiff spade instead of a stiff club, or a missing heart honor (add the J of D or whatever) so slam isn't as cold and I'd be less excited.

#7 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-02, 17:44

Agree with the others, very serious. Serious enough that I plan to bid beyond game having shown a serious slam try if partner bids 4D over 4C.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-02, 17:45

I would've thought that anyone playing serious/frivolous would have agreed on a precise definition. (Slam is cold opposite a perfect minimum sounds like a good precise definition of 'serious', but it might not be yours.)

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-02, 18:06

View Postakwoo, on 2014-December-02, 17:45, said:

I would've thought that anyone playing serious/frivolous would have agreed on a precise definition.

Or, you know, maybe some people recently started playing it in a new partnership and are trying to work out said definition with their partner and asking others for input.

Nah, you're right, that's absurd, so this thread can be closed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-03, 04:58

Dead serious.

4NT.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 08:29

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-December-02, 17:44, said:

Agree with the others, very serious. Serious enough that I plan to bid beyond game having shown a serious slam try if partner bids 4D over 4C.

As a follow-up question, how much judgement are you allowing partner here? Does 4 mean "I am happy to cooperate" or does it mean "We are playing LTTC, and I have a spade control, so I guess I have to bid 4"?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-December-03, 09:06

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-02, 15:05, said:

Partner opens 1 (5 cards, 11+ points even at this vulnerability) and you respond with a game-forcing 2 (also promising 5). Partner raises and you must decide whether to show serious slam interest with a 4 cuebid (also denying a spade cue) or to bid a frivolous 3. (With total trash 4 would just barely be allowed but we don't have that obviously).
What do you choose, and how different would the hand have to be for you to change your mind?
IMO 4 = 10. Perhaps you could play ...
3N = Serious try (if available that might well be your choice with this hand). Cue-bid = Almost compulsory. 3 = A/K/Q doubleton or tripleton. (You might reverse the meanings of 3 and 3N). You might bid 4 with e.g.
x x K Q J x x Q J x x Q x

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 09:39

View Postnige1, on 2014-December-03, 09:06, said:

3N = Serious try (if available that might well be your choice with this hand). Cue-bid = Almost compulsory.

And this is better than the reverse system why?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 09:55

View PostArtK78, on 2014-December-02, 15:44, said:

As a strong advocate of loser count, I think I can safely say that this is not a hand for loser count. The hand contains 7 winners - no more, no less. It has control of both minors and solid trump. I will make a 4 cue bid but then sit back unless partner shows serious interest of his own.

I do not understand this comment.
After a fit has been established does a five loser hand with good trumps opposite an opening bid not seriously suggest you should look for slam?
Since loser count is a quantitative method no more can be expected from such a method.

Rainer Herrmann

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-December-03, 10:00

deleted

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-December-03, 10:10

View Postrhm, on 2014-December-03, 09:55, said:

I do not understand this comment.
After a fit has been established does a five loser hand with good trumps opposite an opening bid not seriously suggest you should look for slam?
Since loser count is a quantitative method no more can be expected from such a method.

Rainer Herrmann

I agree with you - you do not understand my comment.

The hand is very good. However, in order to make a slam you are going to need 5 tricks from partner. This can be a long running suit or ruffing tricks combined with some winners.

My point is that a random honor here or there in partner's hand will not be enough to eliminate my losers. Partner needs to provide tricks.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-December-03, 12:50

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-03, 09:39, said:

And this is better than the reverse system why?
Whatever turns you on :) I was confused. If your method is as follows, I like it ...
1 - 2 -
3 - ??
  • 3 = ART. Mild slam-interest.
  • 3N = CUE Q/KA. Serious slam interest.
  • 4/ = CUE Serious slam interest.
  • 4 = No slam interest.

#18 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 16:40

small add, I think it helps a lot if pard can rebid 4h rather than 3h with some of these 7.5-8 loser hands rather than play it as a picture bid. The odds should be in your favor that opener can come up with 5+ tricks if opener has a normal or better 7 loser hand

#19 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2014-December-03, 17:18

RU serious? My hand has a likely play for six opposite two black aces and a black king plus three small . To me that is seriously serious. I almost want to bid 6 right away.

All you are really promising with a 'serious' bid is at least a fit and a king better than a minimum with some controls. You have that and more - second round control, solid , the ace. If there were room in a bidding structure for 'super serious' your hand would qualify.

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 21:16

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-03, 08:29, said:

As a follow-up question, how much judgement are you allowing partner here? Does 4 mean "I am happy to cooperate" or does it mean "We are playing LTTC, and I have a spade control, so I guess I have to bid 4"?

That depends on the cueing situation. You will have to identify which of the two players has limited his hand.

If the player who makes the serious cue is unlimited ("a perfect maximum will be good for slam") his partner must cooperate below game.
If the player who makes the serious cue is limited then "serious" means "serious, in context" and his partner must use his judgement.

In this case, you are completely unlimited and partner must cooperate.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users