BBO Discussion Forums: Matchpoint bidding question 6 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint bidding question 6

Poll: Matchpoint bidding question 6 (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. I would have bid 2C initially (choose another as well anyway) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Pass (27 votes [90.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

3. 3C (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-29, 11:14

Still Acol, still matchpoints. As in other threads, P's opening shows 4+, and may be on a balanced (4n)(4n) outside the NT range (though he should be 5-4 or better after his rebid):

The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-29, 11:22

Ugh really hate to pass here but think I would - chicken!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-29, 12:29

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-29, 11:14, said:

Still Acol, still matchpoints. As in other threads, P's opening shows 4+, and may be on a balanced (4n)(4n) outside the NT range (though he should be 5-4 or better after his rebid):
IMO 3 = 10, Pass = 9, 2 = 6. Close decision. Perhaps 3 is an IMPs rather than Pairs bid. Pass could well be best because 2 may score more highly than 3.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-29, 13:39

Pass is clear. 3 is weird....why do we want to play 3m on what may well be a 6-1 or worse fit when we can play 2M on at least a 4-3? Yes, they will lead trump and, yes, on some hands 3 is better, but partner can play the hands as well as we can (tho few of us like to think that way)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 13:42

The gain for 3 comes when we reach game, not when we play it there I think. Sadly 3 is a highly missdescriptive call for reaching game as well, partner will pass with a good 5-5-2-1 thinking our club honnors don't fit when it is kinda the opposite.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-November-29, 16:11

I would pass and be prepared to apologize if its wrong. With 1-3, sometimes you have to take a (very) false preference to 2, but this isn't the hand.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-29, 20:52

Happily pass.

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-29, 23:11

How strong do you need to be in ACOL to bid 3H? I think 3C only wins when there is a skinny game to be reached (or partner is 5=4=1=3), and I think the window for that is very small, so I went with Pass.

#9 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 01:13

Pass is clear, I can't see the logic for anything else.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-30, 03:07

I'm sick and tired of misguessing positions like this.. lol.

Anyway, 3. Even with a singleton across, I can make a few ruffz.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-November-30, 03:11

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-29, 23:11, said:

How strong do you need to be in ACOL to bid 3H? I think 3C only wins when there is a skinny game to be reached (or partner is 5=4=1=3), and I think the window for that is very small, so I went with Pass.

I don't know ACOL, but I would be really surprised if there was any system where 3 with 3 cards was possible.

#12 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 05:25

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-30, 03:11, said:

I don't know ACOL, but I would be really surprised if there was any system where 3 with 3 cards was possible.

I meant how strong would opener have to be for the jump rebid of 3H sorry.

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 09:20

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-29, 23:11, said:

I think the principles of bidding in Acol and SAYC are more similar than people here seem to think. A 3 bid is a GF in both systems, so while there are minor considerations about what sort of hands P might have responded as he did given that you've shown 5 rather than 4, I think they'd very rarely change whether you have a GF opposite his response.

That said, perhaps the main difference on everyday auctions other than what P might raise you on is that Acol players tend to keep their responses stronger. I don't know how much that's conservative English players and how much the fact that 1m openings actually promise the suit, so passing it out is generally less likely to lead to the wrong part score. Probably a little of both. If your P has the agreement that P responds to 1m on almost any strength with a major suit, maybe you want more for a GF, but it doesn't seem like it would apply over P's 1M opening.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-01, 19:03

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-30, 09:20, said:

I think the principles of bidding in Acol and SAYC are more similar than people here seem to think. A 3 bid is a GF in both systems, so while there are minor considerations about what sort of hands P might have responded as he did given that you've shown 5 rather than 4, I think they'd very rarely change whether you have a GF opposite his response.

That said, perhaps the main difference on everyday auctions other than what P might raise you on is that Acol players tend to keep their responses stronger. I don't know how much that's conservative English players and how much the fact that 1m openings actually promise the suit, so passing it out is generally less likely to lead to the wrong part score. Probably a little of both. If your P has the agreement that P responds to 1m on almost any strength with a major suit, maybe you want more for a GF, but it doesn't seem like it would apply over P's 1M opening.

Not particularly relevant, but I've never actually played either system. The only things I've ever discussed with a partner more than 15 minutes before a session are Precision (first system I learnt from an ancient C.C. Wei book that recommended all splinters as 4441 exactly!), a more modern precision variant, a 2-way club system (and discussion was 'let's read and play these notes and play that for this 4 weeks team event') and 2/1 GF. I've played 56 boards of standard in my life - including BBO pickup pards lol.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-December-04, 04:24

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-30, 09:20, said:

That said, perhaps the main difference on everyday auctions other than what P might raise you on is that Acol players tend to keep their responses stronger. I don't know how much that's conservative English players and how much the fact that 1m openings actually promise the suit, so passing it out is generally less likely to lead to the wrong part score. Probably a little of both.

Yes. Another minor difference is that our 1NT response in Acol is tightly limited so we can bid 3 or 3 here without much risk of making p overexcited. Even 2NT might be an option in Acol, which is obviously isn't playing 2/1.

But I would pass regardless.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users