BBO Discussion Forums: Matchpoint bidding question 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint bidding question 1

Poll: Matchpoint bidding question 1 (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. 2H (7 votes [24.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

2. 3H (20 votes [68.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

3. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-29, 10:50

(full disclosure - the hands I'm about to post are from a live competition, which I've just submitted an entry to, so please don't specify if you know where they're from, or use the replies here to inform your entry. I'm posting here because I'm impatient to discuss them, and also curious to see in advance how much the most popular calls here/those by the strongest players match the quiz-setter's opinion when it's revealed)

Matchpoints, basic system is Acol, so your opening promised 4:

The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-29, 11:03

I worry that bidding 3s or 4h could get pd over excited so I settle for 3h but really not sure
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-29, 12:02

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-29, 10:50, said:

(full disclosure - the hands I'm about to post are from a live competition, which I've just submitted an entry to, so please don't specify if you know where they're from, or use the replies here to inform your entry. I'm posting here because I'm impatient to discuss them, and also curious to see in advance how much the most popular calls calls here/those by the strongest players match the quiz-setters opinion when it's revealed)
Matchpoints, basic system is Acol, so your opening promised 4:
IMO 4 = 10, 4 = 9, 3 = 8, 3 = 7. Partner probably has but it's just possible that an opponent has them and is about to wake up so pre-emption seems sensible. Also, you have about 5 losers so you're worth game

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 12:22

In a weak notrump system 2h already shows extras so this one is just barely worth 3.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 12:25

Heh, I was expecting be at the cravener end of the spectrum with 2, though I didn't realise by how much. To me at MPs, anything more than 3 seems really overdoing it on this aceless wonder.

If P can't raise 3 to 4, I really doubt we want to be in it. I went gentle into that good night on the grounds that giving P the and aces and out, we have less than a 50% shot at game, esp after wrongsiding for a D lead. If he has both of those and anything extra (a fifth H, say), I'd expect him to have a look at game on most hands, and I'll obviously cooperate with that.

The silence also worries me. Sure, you can construct hands where P has little in the suit and neither opp has a bid (esp if P has the ace), but I think on the auction so far, P is heavy favourite to have a few values in s, which he's surely going to overrate if I just jump to 3h[e].

Lastly, what if he tries for a slam? If I've bid 3, I'll start to feel pretty sick about my hand if cue cues eg 3. Do I sign straight off in 4, eating up all his cueing space? Or do I cooperate, and risk ending up at the five level off two keycards and needing things to behave well to avoid losing a third?

At teams it's a 3 bid for me (I still don't rate out chances in 4 if P can't even raise this at teams), but at pairs it feels like too much can go wrong. It's close, but I'm sticking with 2 until I hear a decent argument to be less of a wuss.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 13:19

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-29, 12:22, said:

In a weak notrump system 2h already shows extras so this one is just barely worth 3.

I don't think it is worth 3 (in a weak NT context).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-29, 13:30

We have no trump texture and no Aces and are playing a weak 1N opening bid. I don't understand, at mps, anything more than 2. I know the LTC suggests more but if partner can't move over 2, the lack of action by the opps suggests he has weak trump and/or spade wastage.

Meanwhile, if I bid 3 and he gets excited, the lack of Aces and secondary heart cards risks a minus score for no good reason, while if he shows life over 2, I can cooperate with enthusiasm, having limited my hand.

The odds seem pretty good that he will be bidding on.

We may miss the occasional decent game or slam but at mps these will be more than offset by the pluses we score when aggressive bidding generates minuses,
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 13:35

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-29, 13:30, said:

We have no trump texture and no Aces and are playing a weak 1N opening bid. I don't understand, at mps, anything more than 2. I know the LTC suggests more but if partner can't move over 2, the lack of action by the opps suggests he has weak trump and/or spade wastage.

I have very slim experience in weak NT/ACOL context where 3 card raises are possible, but don't we have about 2 more tricks than an average 1345 hand?

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 16:07

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-29, 13:30, said:

Meanwhile, if I bid 3 and he gets excited, the lack of Aces and secondary heart cards risks a minus score for no good reason, while if he shows life over 2, I can cooperate with enthusiasm, having limited my hand.

The odds seem pretty good that he will be bidding on.

We may miss the occasional decent game or slam but at mps these will be more than offset by the pluses we score when aggressive bidding generates minuses,

If partner does not move over 2 you will not be allowed to play there.
I like the preemptive effect of 3 and if partner bids over 3 game should have play.
I understand that both opponents have passed already but I still prefer the slight overbid to the slight underbid.
The way I count losers this hand has 6.5 losers - not five, which I consider crazy - and this does not suggest more than 3.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-29, 19:34

I voted 3H, but I am much closer to a forcing 3S or 4C call than I am to anything weaker.

#11 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-29, 20:50

I think the main issue here is that ACOL sucks. Given that you need to raise partner to 2H at MPs holding [x KQx AQxx JTxxx] you've already lost all the benefits of a constructive 2H bid.

#12 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-29, 23:47

This hand is imho the hardest in the set. It is so tricky and my desire to bid 2.5H so strong, it makes me want to play 3D as an artificial gadget so I can have 3 ways to raise and allocate this to the middle bucket. I don't want to force to game, but am torn between 2H (which is excessively sandbagging as WesleyC points out), and 3H which is excessively optimistic.

I really have no idea.

What would 3D be in ACOL? Assuming it's some sort of mini splinter for diamonds, I think 3H is a bit clearer as it implies a spade stiff maybe?

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 01:27

If you are playing weak NT isn't a major raise in the strong NT range? Kokish is a weak NT lover and uses a toy for the responder to find out about the raise. This is a nice hand but in a pairs game I make a simple 2H raise.

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-30, 02:55

Seems like a simple 3 to me. Certainly more than a min because of the superb shape. Certainly not a max either, so 3 is spot-on.

#15 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 08:00

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-29, 23:47, said:

This hand is imho the hardest in the set. It is so tricky and my desire to bid 2.5H so strong, it makes me want to play 3D as an artificial gadget so I can have 3 ways to raise and allocate this to the middle bucket. I don't want to force to game, but am torn between 2H (which is excessively sandbagging as WesleyC points out), and 3H which is excessively optimistic.

I really have no idea.

What would 3D be in ACOL? Assuming it's some sort of mini splinter for diamonds, I think 3H is a bit clearer as it implies a spade stiff maybe?

Yeah, I agree - definitely the one I'm least confident about. 3 would probably most frequently be a GF splinter. But 3 could be a balanced 17-19ish hand, so doesn't say anything about shortage.

#16 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 08:11

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-30, 08:00, said:

Yeah, I agree - definitely the one I'm least confident about. 3 would probably most frequently be a GF splinter. But 3 could be a balanced 17-19ish hand, so doesn't say anything about shortage.

Ugh. This is an insoluble problem for the system. I've voted for 3H but with no great conviction. I guess 3H is only 17-19 balanced if I am 2=4=2=5 exactly, so it is likely I have a stiff. If I ever play ACOL remind me to agree that in this situation 3D would be an invitational+ splinter, then partner would know it is most likely I have a stiff spade.

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 09:05

Yeah, it seems weird to me to play splinters below three of the relevant suit as GF, but that seems to be by far the most common treatment.

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 10:32

Assuming 3h is the "standarish", please bid game if you are near the top
of a minimum, response then by all means make that bid since the normal
majority of the time you will only bid game when p has a decent hand and
mostly only go down when p has a ton of wasted spade values (life bites
that way).

Another consideration for the 3h bid---our hand is hardly loaded with power
(especially defensive) so the 3h bid (which has a wide range of power) can be
a very effective preemptive tool if p decides to pass. Rhm points out the rather
slim chance of 2h ever surviving so I think it a somewhat short sighted to think
we might gain MP very much when the opps let us settle in 2h (I cannot remember
the last time I played 2M that was not a balance:)

When we bid 3h and p wants to try slamming it is unlikely they will be disappointed
with our every suit controlled and source of tricks hand.

#19 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 15:12

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-30, 09:05, said:

Yeah, it seems weird to me to play splinters below three of the relevant suit as GF, but that seems to be by far the most common treatment.

Jeff goldsmith mentions as an aside in a problem set on his site that where there are two splinters available (like here) he prefers the cheapest to be inv or tons of extras and the more expensive to be minimum game force. This is a great idea IMHO. He also notes it is Laws proof in the sense that you can never be constrained by partners hesitation.

#20 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 15:34

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-30, 15:12, said:

Jeff goldsmith mentions as an aside in a problem set on his site that where there are two splinters available (like here) he prefers the cheapest to be inv or tons of extras and the more expensive to be minimum game force. This is a great idea IMHO. He also notes it is Laws proof in the sense that you can never be constrained by partners hesitation.

Playing normal systems, I always play single-jump shifts of 1M opening as split range splinters by preference to any other pick-up method. Far better than Bergen, IMO.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users