BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding with mistfits in the majors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding with mistfits in the majors

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-November-28, 06:00

We went down in 4 Hearts. Everyone else bid and made 4 spades. Partner had two small spades.
My rationale was that by a jump rebid I was showing six spades, and partner's first bid showed 5+ hearts and his second bid showed 6 hearts. I assumed he could not have two spades or he would have put me into game in spades with an 8 card fit, and he might have a void in spades, so I might struggle to get to his hand to establish his Hearts with only a singleton Q in my hand. On the other hand, in 4 Hearts, if partner was very short in spades he would be relying on a successful Club King finesse to run my spades.
Should partner have put me into game in Spades with an 8 card fit, or were my spades solid enough for me to bid over his 4 Hearts?

#2 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-28, 06:15

I think he should raise on 2 there, yeah. That's fine support.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-November-28, 11:57

I'm having a tough time constructing a hand that doesn't open a weak two, but can make a passed hand 2 bid. If your partner is old-school they might hold a good hand and a marginal suit like x ATxxxx and a 9 count. Opposite this, we aren't making much of anything, but the J would be a nice card and maybe we can hold down the damage in 4.

Yes your partner should raise to 4.

Its also important to note that unlike other jumps to 3 of a major this one is forcing. Partner is guaranteeing about 9-10 points and we are showing about 16 so we can't stop in a part score.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-November-28, 12:13

Thanks Phil,

I am still getting used to the hand construction tool on the BBO site. Partner did not pass to start with - I opened the bidding. I presume this doesn't make a difference to your response?

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-November-28, 21:03

Partner should raise to 4 .

Partner can't know how many s you have. The only clue is that you didn't raise immediately which would tend to deny 3+ . If you hold 2 , it may not matter which suit you play in. But anytime you hold less, will probably play better.

So it's normally better to bid game in the known 8+ card fit, then speculate on the possible other fit.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-November-28, 21:05

View PostLiversidge, on 2014-November-28, 12:13, said:

Thanks Phil,

I am still getting used to the hand construction tool on the BBO site. Partner did not pass to start with - I opened the bidding. I presume this doesn't make a difference to your response?

No it doesn't change things. But it's a useful exercise to try to build hands that support partners bidding. It can help you place the contract.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-November-29, 05:33

View Postrmnka447, on 2014-November-28, 21:03, said:

Partner should raise to 4 .

Partner can't know how many s you have. The only clue is that you didn't raise immediately which would tend to deny 3+ . If you hold 2 , it may not matter which suit you play in. But anytime you hold less, will probably play better.

So it's normally better to bid game in the known 8+ card fit, then speculate on the possible other fit.

BINGO!!

#8 User is offline   ayebee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf SF and crime fiction, and bridge

Posted 2014-November-30, 03:02

You don't mention what system you're playing but as you're based in England and from the auction I'm guessing Acol with 4 card majors.
On that basis 3 shows a solid spade suit and not that much outside. As partner's 2 normally shows 5 the it also denies 3 hearts. If partner bids 4H knowing what you have then you need to trust that bid and not correct to 4

To bid that your partner needs solid hearts and no more than one spade. I trust he will learn form the experience

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-30, 16:39

View Postayebee, on 2014-November-30, 03:02, said:

You don't mention what system you're playing but as you're based in England and from the auction I'm guessing Acol with 4 card majors.
On that basis 3 shows a solid spade suit and not that much outside.
Double.

Continuing on the Acol-style assumption, a 2S rebid would have been non-forcing. A 3S rebid shows a strong opener with a self-supporting (not necessarily solid) Spade suit, sufficient to GF opposite partner's response. Not much outside? Where does that come from? Sure, with a biddable 4 card minor that would normally be preferred.

Personally I am a bit surprised that the chosen 3S rebid has encountered no criticism. I may be a bit out of the mainstream but I would have rebid 2S.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users