• You cannot reply to this topic

Retrogression

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-27, 18:23

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

I have never liked or understood the reservation of a 1NT rebid in some competitive auctions to show 18-19 HCP. For a lot of reasons, it's a big advantage to be the first to bid 1NT, particularly non-vul; and in a bit more than a year of playing in robot individuals on BBO the bid didn't come up - not even once. Well, now it has. And I bid it. And the robot forgot, or something. So now I can't use the 1NT rebid in competition at all, because I won't know what it means. To add insult to injury, those who chose to open 1NT got an invite from North, with 8 HCP opposite a max of 17. How about it, techs - time to make the 1NT rebid 11-14 across the board, including in competition? Particularly since the 2NT rebid shows exactly the same thing as 1NT in this sequence, according to the system notes.

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-28, 06:29

It looks to me as though whoever wrote the description confused 1C - (P) - 1S - (X); 1NT with 1C - (P) - P - (X/1S); 1NT, but that the robots just play it as you would expect.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-28, 11:04

In the not very distant past, players who did not consult the system notes and bid 1NT in this sequence holding the (IMO) more normal 12-14 were raised to 3NT by North holding 8 or 9 HCP. So something has changed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users