BBO Discussion Forums: Correction period for director error - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Correction period for director error

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-26, 09:24

LAW 82 - RECTIFICATION OF ERRORS OF PROCEDURE
C. Director's Error
If a ruling has been given that the Director subsequently determines to be incorrect, and if no rectification will allow the board to be scored normally, he shall award an adjusted score, treating both sides as non-offending for that purpose.

Do a tournament's correction periods apply to this power or can the Director change his ruling at any point in the future?

In the case in question, the Director gave an illegal ruling initially. There was no appeal since the players were vastly less experienced than the Director and just accepted his decision with good grace. Subsequently the Director has realised the error of his ways and wishes to reinstate the table result, but can he do this if it is outside the usual correction periods?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-November-26, 10:04

I think the Director's power/duty to rectify errors under Law 82 is subject to Law 81: in particular, Law 81C3 allows rectification of errors within the correction period.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 14:01

Law 81C3: The Director’s duties and powers normally include …
3. to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware in any manner, within the correction period established in accordance with Law 79C.

Amplifying Robin's comment, this says, or at least implies, that the TD cannot correct TD error after the correction period.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users