Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rubber Bridge Laws Latest Edition?

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-26, 00:53

I notice that Baron Barclay are now selling what appears to be an official publication of the ACBL: The Laws of Rubber Bridge - 2014. I must've missed the memo. I wasn't aware that this was even in the works, except as an idea that "we ought to revise the rubber bridge laws too" after the 2007/2008 revision of the duplicate laws. Anyone know if the WBF or the Portland Club or whoever has published a similar revision? Anyone looked at what's changed?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 03:27

I was part of a working group that advised the Portland Club, who updated the Laws in conjunction with the ACBL. Changes that were made included: bringing the revoke & insufficient bid laws into line with the duplicate laws; defining the role of "arbiter"; removing the use of "odd tricks" to describe tricks in excess of six; laying down laws for Chicago bridge; the word "rectification" was used in some situations; the use of bidding boxes was allowed; a time limit for claiming honours was introduced; and a few minor spelling and layout errors were corrected. Some of these had already been done in a 2003 revision that the ACBL had published without the Portland Club.

The American version of the new laws is available online and the English version is in print published by the Portland Club. I'm surprised to see that the English version doesn't appear to be online, but perhaps someone else will be able to find it.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 11:26

View Postgordontd, on 2014-November-26, 03:27, said:

removing the use of "odd tricks" to describe tricks in excess of six;

What are they using instead?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 11:40

View PostVampyr, on 2014-November-26, 11:26, said:

What are they using instead?

Tricks in excess of six. Actually apart from in the Definitions, which the ACBL seems to have discarded, the word "odd" was superfluous and was just deleted.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 13:13

Thanks, Gordon. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users