• You cannot reply to this topic

3 of the top 7

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 14:41

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

Once again, the robot introduces a 3-card spade suit at the 3-level. I don't suppose there will be many other complaints from those who got to 6, because the solid 25% slam rolls home on the double hook in s. But will nothing ever be done about this nonsense? North could raise 3 to 4 or bid 3NT or bid 3 (2nd negative, if I'm correct). All of these would be preferable to the ridiculous 3, which ends up meaning "I've got something somewhere -you guess. " Of course South, needing only QJxxx and a or two in North (or a not-too-unfriendly split), is going to bid slam. At IMPs especially, where one slam swing makes or breaks your set and makes the other 11 hands irrelevant, this is unacceptable.

A while back, a Leading Player gave a defense of BBO IMP pairs, which, he claimed, was not marred by the same vulnerability to big swings caused by one pair's silliness as in the live version. The problem with BBO's IMP pairs is its vulnerability to big swings caused by across-the-board robot silliness. I did not deserve the IMPs I gained by making 6 anymore than I would have deserved to lose IMPs had a honor been offside. And what about the players who believed 3 meant and ended up in 6? Two players raised 3 to 5 (to my understanding, asking about trump quality), and the robot in each instance continued to 6, presumably on the strength of holding 3 of the top 7 cards in the suit. Enough already.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 15:02

It has been an age since GIB was last upgraded. Whether the next upgrade does anything to stem the flood of frustration remains to be seen. What does not remain to be seen is that until the next upgrade it is futile to expect to see any improvement since the last upgrade.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 20:25

Obviously Uva is correct. A question for Jack and everyone else. Your point that there would be no changes to GIB's actions until there is an update certainly seems valid. But I ask you all - have you seen a Lebensohl auction after you doubled a weak 2 bid in, say, the last month? GIB is now bidding new suits at the 3 level with very modest values - as little as 7 HCP. I have seen this at least 3 times. The descriptions - showing GIB's odd version of Leb in which a non-jump 3 level advance is a virtual game force - have not changed.

Anyone else seen this?

#4 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-28, 10:12

I have noted changes in lebensohl usage, but more in the direction of inconsistency. Sometimes the immediate 3-level bid is made with a weak hand, at other times it is made with a very strong hand. I've also noticed that the robot is starting to bid 3 card suits other than (the latter being a long time problem). For example, in the auction Pass-2;2NT-3NT;4 the robot bid 2NT followed by 4 holding a 4-3-3-3 11 count, the 4 card suit being , when 6NT was the only bid that made sense over 3NT. Yesterday I posted an instance where the robot forgot that a 1NT rebid in certain competitive auctions shows 18-19 and treated it as showing 11-14. From this limited evidence it looks like more problems are creeping in.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users