Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim and Acceptance in Error Must the Director over-rule

#1 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 05:05

I don't know where I read this, or heard it.
Is it true :

In EBU land -

If a declarer claims tricks which he can not possibly make, and defenders accept in error, and the Director happens to notice (he was passing by or kibbing) - is the Director under an obligation to correct the result?

What about if the error is noticed after the table change?

#2 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 05:34

The relevant law for the first question is 81C3, talking about the TD's duties:

to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware in any manner, within the correction period established in accordance with Law 79C.

I don't think that covers this case, but it's not completely clear and there's no specific guidance in the White Book. There was no irregularity, provided declarer did not realise his mistake, and "error" IMO means things like entering the agreed score incorrectly, not mistakes like this.

As for the second part, defenders can withdraw their agreement (Law 69B)

1. if a player agreed to the loss of a trick his side had, in fact, won; or
2. if a player has agreed to the loss of a trick that his side would likely have won had the play continued.

provided they are within the correction period (normally 30 minutes after the score has been made available for inspection).

#3 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-November-24, 05:41

View Postjandrew, on 2014-November-24, 05:05, said:

If a declarer claims tricks which he can not possibly make, and defenders accept in error, and the Director happens to notice (he was passing by or kibbing) - is the Director under an obligation to correct the result?

If either side knows that the tricks claimed can not be won, then there has been an infraction of Law 79A2 and the TD should interfere.

Law 79A2 said:

A player must not knowingly accept either the score for a trick that his side did not win or the concession of a trick that his opponents could not lose.

View Postjandrew, on 2014-November-24, 05:05, said:

What about if the error is noticed after the table change?

If either side notices after the end of the round then there is a law (Law 69B) which allows the number of tricks claimed to be corrected.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-24, 07:14

View Postcampboy, on 2014-November-24, 05:34, said:

The relevant law for the first question is 81C3, talking about the TD's duties: I don't think that covers this case, but it's not completely clear and there's no specific guidance in the White Book. There was no irregularity, provided declarer did not realise his mistake, and "error" IMO means things like entering the agreed score incorrectly, not mistakes like this.

campboy quoted TFLB L81C3, which said:

Duties of TD include "to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware in any manner, within the correction period established in accordance with Law 79C."

View PostRMB1, on 2014-November-24, 05:41, said:

If either side knows that the tricks claimed can not be won, then there has been an infraction of Law 79A2 and the TD should interfere.

RMB1 quoted TFLB L79A2, which said:

A player must not knowingly accept either the score for a trick that his side did not win or the concession of a trick that his opponents could not lose.
Traditionally, directors try to avoid an active "policing" role, preferring to turn a blind eye to incidents like this. IMO this breaks the law and undermines the game. Local regulations (e.g. the white book) can't exonerate such dereliction of duty. The TD should act when he notices declarer's larceny, even if the TD is unsure whether declarer is aware of what he's doing. IMO, claiming tricks that you can't win by legal means is an irregularity. Hence, IMO the TD must rectify it at some stage.

#5 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-24, 07:45

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-24, 07:14, said:

IMO, claiming tricks that you can't win by legal means is an irregularity.

That is not a matter of opinion. It simply is not an irregularity, provided declarer genuinely thought he would win that many tricks.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-24, 10:31

An appropriate matter for an opinion would be whether 79A2 should be changed to remove "knowingly". Doing it without knowing should be correctable, while doing it knowingly is cheating.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-24, 10:35

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-24, 07:14, said:

IMO, claiming tricks that you can't win by legal means is an irregularity.

Please explain how this is so. How is "proper procedure" violated? According to which law?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-November-24, 12:06

View Postcampboy, on 2014-November-24, 07:45, said:

That is not a matter of opinion. It simply is not an irregularity, provided declarer genuinely thought he would win that many tricks.

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-24, 10:31, said:

An appropriate matter for an opinion would be whether 79A2 should be changed to remove "knowingly". Doing it without knowing should be correctable, while doing it knowingly is cheating.
IMO, Barmar is right. Unfortunately, the WBFLC might need a decade of so, to undertake a change of this magnitude. :(

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-24, 10:35, said:

Please explain how this is so. How is "proper procedure" violated? According to which law?
How about...

TFLB L68C said:

A claim should be accompanied at once by a clear statement as to the order in which cards will be played, of the line of play or defence through which the claimer proposes to win the tricks claimed.
Anyway, only a sophist, desperate to avoid any additional work or hassle for directors, would argue that a false claim is legally or morally defensible.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-24, 12:26

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-24, 12:06, said:

Anyway, only a sophist, desperate to avoid any additional work or hassle for directors, would argue that a false claim is legally or morally defensible.

Are you calling me names, Nigel?

IAC, I made no such argument; I simply asked a question. Here's another: do we have evidence that a line of play statement was not made? And another: in what sense is the claim under discussion "false"? Do you assert that all claims which include tricks the claimer could not win are deliberate attempts to deceive?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-November-24, 12:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-24, 12:26, said:

Are you calling me names, Nigel?
No. Perish the thought :)

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-24, 12:26, said:

IAC, I made no such argument; I simply asked a question. Here's another: do we have evidence that a line of play statement was not made? And another: in what sense is the claim under discussion "false"? Do you assert that all claims which include tricks the claimer could not win are deliberate attempts to deceive?
"Invalid". "Untrue". "Unclear". A claim statement should clearly state "the order in which cards will be played, of the line of play or defence through which the claimer proposes to win the tricks claimed.". Intent should be assessed only by TDs with appropriate mind-reading qualifications. As Barmar points out, a deliberate false claim is a separate issue (cheating).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users