BBO Discussion Forums: Play this slam - you got lucky, now can it make? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play this slam - you got lucky, now can it make?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-24, 02:50

Had this pretty auction the other day on BBO, and according to GIB slam makes on a non-club lead. I could not see it, even with all cards in view. Is there a squeeze, or it's just a DD thing?

Lead was H5. Is there any play to this at all? I went down, and was frustrated to see other tables made slam, but looking into their hand records it was misdefense, not brilliancy.

#2 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-24, 03:18

It's clever.

Start by wining 3 rounds of hearts.
Cash two rounds of diamonds. East now has only black cards
Play a small spade. Either east ducks, or goes up with J/T/8. If estducks the trick to the 7, you just cash out. Assuming he goes up.
Win and cross back to hand in diamonds, then cash the last diamond.
Then play a small spade to the queen (play the 7 if he plays small again), then cash the queen of hearts.

East now has to discard from Tx in spades and Kx in clubs. If he discards a spade, you now have two cashing spade tricks and then lose the last club. If he instead discards a club, you end play east with a club lead, or west is endplayed if he goes up with the ace. If at any point he discards the king, you just lose a club trick to west who then gives you your 12th trick.

Can you make this at the table? I doubt it - you go off if you you don't play for west to be void in spades, or if you cash 3 rounds of diamonds. Can you tell he is likely void in spades from watching east discard after the 2 rounds? Probably not.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-24, 04:27

yeah it's a bit double dummy, but I think there's a winkle squeeze on East, as Cthu mentions.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-24, 05:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-November-24, 02:50, said:

Had this pretty auction the other day on BBO, and according to GIB slam makes on a non-club lead. I could not see it, even with all cards in view. Is there a squeeze, or it's just a DD thing?

Lead was H5. Is there any play to this at all? I went down, and was frustrated to see other tables made slam, but looking into their hand records it was misdefense, not brilliancy.
Agree with Cthulhu.

Win A. Lead 5 to 8 and Q. Cross to dummy's J. Lead 6 to T and K. Cash QAKJ, Q, to reach the 4-card ending on the left.

Now, cash K, chucking a , to execute a winkle on RHO.

Or you can cash your red winners, ending in dummy, for the same effect.

If North had A7xx and South had KQ8 then you would need to your cash s first, so that you could end up in dummy, to discard your blocking 8 on dummy's 4th :)

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-24, 06:44

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-24, 03:18, said:

Can you make this at the table? I doubt it - you go off if you you don't play for west to be void in spades, or if you cash 3 rounds of diamonds. Can you tell he is likely void in spades from watching east discard after the 2 rounds? Probably not.

Maybe the right play is a spade to the hand at trick 2. East might very well put the 8, after which it's simple (if you know the technique).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users