Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting them to the dark side Recruiting for forcing club system

#1 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-22, 12:52

My preferred methods: Forcing club at 15+, lite limited openings at 10-14, transfer positive responses to 1, 4 card majors/canape rebids, 2 suited 2 level limited (10-14) openings, weak (10-12) or intermediate (13-14) NT depending on vulnerability. Back of the card fairly standard.

Obviously this is too much to spring on a convert all at once . . . especially if you throw in the Precision asking bids.

What I have done in the past is to ease a partner into the forcing club world. 1 club on all 16+ hands (except 2NT opener), other openings limited 11-15, 2 clubs = club suit (5+) and not 5332. 1 diamond nebulous.

Not too satisfactory at MPs because too many 4-4 major suit fits missed. Thus the 4 card major innovation. But folks at my club (weirdly) find 4 card majors too exotic or too old-fashioned to suit their tastes.

What is the best way to recruit them into the wonderful and fascinating world of strong club/limited openings?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-22, 15:12

View Postbiggerclub, on 2014-November-22, 12:52, said:

My preferred methods: Forcing club at 15+, lite limited openings at 10-14, transfer positive responses to 1, 4 card majors/canape rebids, 2 suited 2 level limited (10-14) openings, weak (10-12) or intermediate (13-14) NT depending on vulnerability. Back of the card fairly standard.

Obviously this is too much to spring on a convert all at once . . . especially if you throw in the Precision asking bids.

What I have done in the past is to ease a partner into the forcing club world. 1 club on all 16+ hands (except 2NT opener), other openings limited 11-15, 2 clubs = club suit (5+) and not 5332. 1 diamond nebulous.

Not too satisfactory at MPs because too many 4-4 major suit fits missed. Thus the 4 card major innovation. But folks at my club (weirdly) find 4 card majors too exotic or too old-fashioned to suit their tastes.

What is the best way to recruit them into the wonderful and fascinating world of strong club/limited openings?

Well, you seem to be saying that people at your club don't like 4-card majors, isn't eliminating them the solution? Once you have a solid partnership, the two of you can make changes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-22, 16:40

The problem with "easing in" is that your intended victim needs to be able to see something that is either better, or more fun, or both, than the methods he is using. Switching from a solid standard system to 1960s precision is a sufficiently big step backward that it might frighten your friends away from the system for life.

The best way to recruit anyone to any new toy is to examine a hand that their current system doesn't handle, and show them how your new toy solves a problem for them. Admittedly this is easier when it comes to adding individual conventions late in the auction than when choosing an opening bid structure.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-November-22, 19:00

get greedy - look for a person wanting to play full system. learning an inbetween system then the real system is too much work
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-22, 21:42

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-November-22, 16:40, said:

The problem with "easing in" is that your intended victim needs to be able to see something that is either better, or more fun, or both, than the methods he is using. Switching from a solid standard system to 1960s precision is a sufficiently big step backward that it might frighten your friends away from the system for life.

The best way to recruit anyone to any new toy is to examine a hand that their current system doesn't handle, and show them how your new toy solves a problem for them. Admittedly this is easier when it comes to adding individual conventions late in the auction than when choosing an opening bid structure.

" transfer positive responses to 1♣, 4 card majors/canape rebids, 2 suited 2 level limited (10-14) openings, weak (10-12) or intermediate (13-14) NT depending on vulnerability."

60's style Precision? What he plays sounds nothing like it at all to me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-23, 01:23

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-22, 21:42, said:

" transfer positive responses to 1♣, 4 card majors/canape rebids, 2 suited 2 level limited (10-14) openings, weak (10-12) or intermediate (13-14) NT depending on vulnerability."

He was talking about later on where I discussed introducing people to the world of strong club by trimming it down to two main elements . . . 16+ 1 and 11-15 for other openings. I have sat down to play with people with nothing more than that . . . no discussion of interference over 1, no 2 artificial and forcing over 2.

Overwhelm arrives quickly.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-23, 02:39

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-November-22, 19:00, said:

get greedy - look for a person wanting to play full system. learning an inbetween system then the real system is too much work

this

a player either wants to learn strong club, or he doesn't. you need someone with an analytic mind.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-23, 03:48

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-22, 21:42, said:

Except for the transfer positives, it sounds a lot like the strong club system Jannersten advocated in Sweden... in the '60s or '70s. Several of my Swedish friends have been playing this system since they were kids.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-23, 09:24

Find a pair that has been underperforming for a while and is looking for a booster. Changing system could work for them, even just for the sake of change, to break the cycle. The system doesn't even have to be superior then.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-23, 10:08

My opinion is you need to find someone willing to commit to a serious partnership. You can't get people off their usual methods just for fun or for a few occasional sessions - the memory load and the frustrations are too big to make it worthwhile for them. But if they are serious about playing with you regularly, you can get them to switch by showing them hands where your system would have been better.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users