• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unseen doubles

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-25, 10:57

Yeah, it seems obvious to me that those regulations date from the days when bidding boxes were not practically universal. I guess the option in #1 was either the organizer (so they wouldn't have to deal with teaching beginners how to use them) or the players (if they didn't know how to use them, they could opt out); since beginners are probably taught how to use bidding boxes in their classes these days, either case is an anachronism now. The only newbies who don't know about bidding boxes are probably when someone who has only played kitchen bridge goes to their first duplicate.

In fact, the only place I've played in years where they weren't automatically placed on every table is my regular club at MIT. We play in a classroom, and there's no nearby storage for equipment, so the director has to bring the equipment to the game each week. This means a laptop, a case of boards, and a box containing supplies (convention cards, pencils, travelers). Bidding boxes and/or bridgemates would overload him, so the club doesn't own any, but about 1/4 of the regular players each bring their own set of bidding boxes. In practice, this usually results in enough boxes for every table, but occasionally one or two tables is missing.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-25, 12:02

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-25, 10:57, said:

In practice, this usually results in enough boxes for every table, but occasionally one or two tables is missing.

Two people can easily share a bidding box if it is placed on the corner between them. Or are you doing that already?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-25, 12:53

View PostVampyr, on 2014-November-25, 12:02, said:

Two people can easily share a bidding box if it is placed on the corner between them. Or are you doing that already?

But what if the second one of them wants to make an insufficient bid?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-November-25, 13:05

View Postgordontd, on 2014-November-25, 12:53, said:

But what if the second one of them wants to make an insufficient bid?

They can just ask the opponent to dig it out for them :)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-26, 09:55

No, we hadn't thought of that.

#26 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 14:48

Don't you think that would be awkward when the cards shall be put back into the Box following each auction? The bid cards must be merged carefully to preserve their sequence.

#27 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 14:54

It might take a little getting used to, but it's not all that hard.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 15:58

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-26, 14:54, said:

It might take a little getting used to, but it's not all that hard.

Well, it sure isn't as bad as restoring a bid box that has had a picnic on the floor but . . . . . :angry:

#29 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-November-26, 18:55

View Postpran, on 2014-November-26, 15:58, said:

Well, it sure isn't as bad as restoring a bid box that has had a picnic on the floor but . . . . . :angry:

The bids have been laid out overlapping, so that the call made in each round can be seen. So, in putting the cards away, each player separates his calls into however many piles are required, each pile containing the cards he put out for one specific call. Then the player who bid second hands his bidding piles, one at a time, to the other, who puts each pile, one at a time on top of his own immediately previous pile. Then he consolidates them and puts them in the box. Passes, doubles, and redoubles are collected and put back in the box separately. It's a lot harder to describe than it is to do.

Not sure why this concept makes you angry. :unsure:
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#30 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-26, 20:51

If one player just moves his bids over to the other player, it takes about a whole five seconds after that to restore the box. Two people working together on it would take longer.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#31 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-November-26, 22:18

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-26, 20:51, said:

If one player just moves his bids over to the other player, it takes about a whole five seconds after that to restore the box. Two people working together on it would take longer.

Oh, dear. Such a terribly long time. Why, these folks might be five seconds late for the next round! We can't have that. Bridge is a timed event, microseconds count. :o
--------------------

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-26, 22:45

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-November-26, 22:18, said:

Oh, dear. Such a terribly long time. Why, these folks might be five seconds late for the next round! We can't have that. Bridge is a timed event, microseconds count. :o

Whatever. I was pointing out that one person can get the job done faster without coordinating with the other. If you would prefer watching two monkeys trying to hump the same football, fine. It was a suggestion to make the sharing of a bid box more efficient at the end of the auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#33 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-November-26, 23:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-26, 22:45, said:

Whatever. I was pointing out that one person can get the job done faster without coordinating with the other. If you would prefer watching two monkeys trying to hump the same football, fine. It was a suggestion to make the sharing of a bid box more efficient at the end of the auction.

My apologies, Agua. I misread your post. And you're right, your procedure would be faster than mine.

I guess I've been hearing too much "bridge is a timed event" nonsense lately.

Although... watching two monkeys trying to hump the same football might be amusing, for a little while. If I didn't have anything else to do. B-)

Have a happy turkey day!
--------------------

#34 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-27, 17:24

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-21, 06:51, said:

One of the cases was with screens, I had made the double during the cavendish, but after seeing the tray going to the other side I noticed that my bids weren't fully on that side, and I suspected partner would not see it. But by the time I wanted to do something about it the tray was back on my side with 2 more bids. Could I draw attention to this?

Were you N/S or E/W at the time?

If you are playing N/S, make sure that you always push the tray fully under the screen, so that all calls will be seen by the people on the other side. If you are playing E/W and the opponents are not moving the tray into the correct position, ask them to change this practice and/or call the TD.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users