Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beyond pathetic GIB Basic

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 13:38

I don't necessarily expect GIB to take the finesse for 3NT+4, but it could at least CASH OUT FOR +2!

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 14:49

All I can suggest is, stop playing with basic GIB. The advanced ones declarer play is at least decent. I don't know if updates affect both basic and and advanced GIBS - anyone?

#3 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 15:01

I agree with iandayre. You usually get what you pay for and if the basic bots played as well as the advanced bots, why would anybody pay more for advanced bots. IMHO, the target audience of the basic bots is absolute beginners and very inexperienced players who are unlikely to notice fundamental errors by the bots. You can always play with any level of human players for free.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 16:25

iandayre, on 2014-November-19, 14:49, said:

All I can suggest is, stop playing with basic GIB. The advanced ones declarer play is at least decent. I don't know if updates affect both basic and and advanced GIBS - anyone?
My understanding is that basic and advanced GIBs have all the same programming, but the advanced ones have more resources/time for "thinking".

#5 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 17:26

That's roughly correct.

This translates into the advanced bot being willing to simulate alternatives (a doubled-edged sword, to be sure) and more importantly but much less frequently , using sims to find a bid - any bid - in situations that are clearly forcing but for which there is no bid defined in the rules.

This also translates into more think time when playing out N deals to see what might work best on defence, and the use of the second, smarter (but still not infallible) card play engine starting at trick 3.

The upside of the basic bot that it is generally good enough for me in situations where speed matters to me and when i'm just pushing cards ( playing the Video Bridge arcade game for fun-money, for instance ).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users