#1 User is offline   henrif 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 13:37

In a recent tournament, my robot and I had the following start to an auction

1S - 2C
2D - 2H
2N - 3S

The result does not matter but I was very puzzled by the result (not to mention the auction) and looked at the results and auctions at the other tables. In more than one table, I found the following auction instead:

1S - 2C
2D - 2H
2N - 3H

I would think that this sort of variation in auctions invalidates the "level ground" in robot tournaments....

#2 User is offline   henrif 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 13:59

I guess it is rather common, now that I have looked at some results more carefully. It still seems very strange that given the same hands and the same auction, the robot would make different bids... Rather unpredictable partners they make.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 14:01

You have to remember that there are special situations in Instant Tournaments, which you appear to play in frequently. In order to allow you to get results instantly, these tournaments are taken from previously-played tournaments; your results are compared to results that occurred sometime in the past. (That description is deliberately vague.) Those who played the tournament originally (everyone else in the tournament except you) played with a previous version of GIB; sequences at their tables should all be identical (provided the humans behaved identically), but changes that have been made to GIB may make the sequence at your table different. This will not be true in non-Instant tournaments.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 14:45

Right certainly. It's interesting to compare results in situations such as these to see the effect of the changes. Some work out, some don't, and we tend to remember the negative. One recent hand my LHO made a 3S preempt. I don't recall if I had previously opened the bidding or not. I balanced with a double and my GIB partner had KJT9 of and 4 small Hearts and an outside Ace. Before the change it passed - very successfully. After the change it bid 4H and went minus. Oh well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users