?
2=Invite+ with OR Invite+ with 3c
What now?:
- 2=6+c, NF
- 3=6+c, Slam interest
- 4=6+c, To play

Both hands and bidding. How do you play?:
This is how opps bid 6 at our table:

LHO leads 8 (clearly a singleton or a doubleton).
How do you plan the play

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-19, 17:53

I would have opened 4. Oh well, maybe I can make this slam and justify the auction.

I think it pretty clear that we need the club A onside and some luck

So: win, cross in hearts and lead the club K. Ruff away the Ace, and now ruff a diamond...I am not playing RHO for 7 diamonds.

I now cash a club and pitch a diamond.

I plan, subject to any table action or carding that makes me think otherwise (and I probably won't rely too much on their carding here) to play another top club, hoping for 3-3 or short clubs on my left. If there are short clubs on my left, I overruff and hope that hearts are 3-3.

I likely need spades to be 3-2 or 2-3 to make this. Indeed, if rho has Ax of spades where the x is not the 5, he can embarrass me by ruffing the 3rd club with his spot, which is why I may be paying attention to the clubs, and why the ops should be carding either with no information or randomly against these sorts of contracts.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 18:14

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-19, 17:53, said:

I would have opened 4. Oh well, maybe I can make this slam and justify the auction.

Surprised by this. I thought 1 followed by 4 would be the standard bidding (even vulnerable).
We had a discussion after the club tournament. I said I would bid 1 followed by 3 (Slam interest...the discussion was at the bar), but then thought that 1 followed by 4 was best.

Note: Declarer did follow your line more or less and made; I think RHO has something like Ax=xx=KQJxxx=Axx.

#4 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 18:47

Why not open the hand with a 4 bid? Surely that is being a far better opening. I will play as follows. Win the , cross to a and play a high . If this is covered I ruff and ruff a . Now it depends on what the cards are when I play another high from the dummy.
Where are you parrot?

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-November-19, 19:39

I agree with the opening 1 and the NF 2 rebid made at the table. Assuming that the 4 bid was weaker(fast arrival) I agree with that, and my standard partnership default agreement is 1430 last suit so I also agree with that. Since West implied a minimum opener with every rebid, I think East should be assessed blame for keycarding to the bad slam even though West was able to salvage the contract.

Why not open 4? I think that there are too many possible hands for partner where we belong in a part score, or where he will have the right hand for a good slam.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-20, 02:20

I think I'd try 4 2nd round. Pard rates to have the inv+ hand with clubs and if he wants to go slamming, the hand is just what could be expected for the sequence.

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-20, 04:51

A 4S opening of course. Burgess' rule. I like Nabooba's line.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-November-20, 05:49

I choose the 2NF rebid because if partner has a club invite, I do not see enough transferable values for game on a misfit. Also, the stronger bid would encourage partner more toward slam, and I don't want to do that. I would expect a slightly stronger hand to bid game on the second round. A 4 opening is too soft, a 4 rebid is too hard: the 2 rebid is the Goldilocks bid.

#9 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-November-20, 22:33

Seems right to double 2 allowing partner to pass with GF hand or rebid 3 with 3-card invite (I'll bid 4). The rebids available allow adding the penalty double as if pard had bid 2 natural GF. North wont sit for this double, but there are hands where it's the best place....
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users