BBO Discussion Forums: Tough T/o double response situation. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough T/o double response situation. 1D (3H) X (P) ???

#21 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2014-November-19, 07:56

The great late Rixi Markus wouldn't have hesitated a second on this hand and (I assume) would bid 6. 6 may well be the better contract, but you also you could also end up in a Moysian slam in . Partner should have some tolerance/support for for the X. Bid what you think you can make; don't give the ops any more info. If it goes down then at least you have been bold and not a wuss. 4 is not a bad bid but it could confuse matters; 4NT too. That opening hand is a monster

#22 User is offline   bdegrande 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-20, 01:24

IMPs I pass, The plus score may be quite large white against red.

#23 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-20, 02:36

I'm glad some of you enjoyed this problem!

My vote is for 4H, converting 4S into 5D, or bidding slam directly over 5C/5D.

Several of you suggested that starting with 4H might confuse partner, but I don't agree. Partner will know to get excited about diamond support, the black aces and a heart shortage and not so excited with minimum hands and soft spade values.

At the table the full layout was:

So the total point scoring for each choice is:

Pass = -730
3NT = +460
4H/4NT/5D/6D = +920

#24 User is offline   kebrat 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-20, 09:21

4NT for RKCB Diamonds, ending up in 6D. 3nt doesn't make on the genius lead of !sK.

#25 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-20, 10:04

4 should be forcing and we should bid it. Now if we don't hae nice agreements I would try 4+5 for sure. This problam is tougher playing MPs. For me 4NT must be 6-4 minors when 4 is not forcing.

#26 User is offline   Francine50 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-20, 14:27

[quote name='WesleyC' timestamp='1416322246' post='820308']
IMPs

What do you bid?i f my p and I play gerber I bid 4c if not i bid 4nt to end up in 6d

#27 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-20, 16:36

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-20, 10:04, said:

4 should be forcing and we should bid it. Now if we don't hae nice agreements I would try 4+5 for sure. This problam is tougher playing MPs. For me 4NT must be 6-4 minors when 4 is not forcing.

Why should 4 be forcing?

If you play it as forcing then presumably:

(i) partner has to keep his doubles up to strength, as he seems to be forcing to game opposite a misfit; and
(ii) your 4 bid has a huge range. How do you sort out the difference between a minimum opening bid with 6 diamonds, the actual hand in this thread, and everything in between?

If 4 is non-forcing then partner will know that you have a minimum (or close to) opening bid and can plan accordingly. If he makes a slam try over that then we know he's making a slam try opposite a minimum.

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-20, 20:13

I don't like the 4 forcing idea at all.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-20, 22:50

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-20, 10:04, said:

If 4 is forcing, then you must play the negative double as game force, since 4 is what partner must bid with, say, Ax xx AQJxxx xxx, isn't it?

I don't think this style is playable.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-21, 00:53

How about switching 4 and 4, or playing transfers from 4 upwards?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-21, 12:42

hmmm.. I think that, in retrospective, 6 is probably a good practical bid.

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-November-21, 14:59

Yes double is game forcing, I read that from Martens many years ago, since opener is going to bid 3NT with a minimum with stopper you might just as well play double as game forcing. 3 is also forcing so you might still find your 3NT (although wrongsided) after you double.

#33 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-21, 16:05

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-18, 17:44, said:

Matters got worse when I thought about the hand-types on which I would negative double (thinking that if I do this, then probably a lot of other players do as well). One of them is the long spades, too much to pass, since opener may not feel able to reopen, and not enough to bid 3...sort of a good 2 opening bid. KQ10xxx xx xx Axx

If you'd stretch to bid 3 gf make it slightly weaker in playing strength to the point where, assuming the line exists, it crosses beneath the 3 line and into a double.

For me, this hand-type does not exist within a negative double at the 3-level, and certainly not at 3.
The point of making a negative double of 2 with KQTxxx xx xx Kxx is that we can stop in 2. But the only time you can stop in 3 after (3) X is when partner has four-card support - I am pretty sure that's not the target you are aiming for.

You are forcing just as high with X and 3, so I'd rather show my spade length to help us reach the most likely game when that's right.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#34 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-21, 22:22

Fluffy's (Martens?) idea of making 1D-(3H)-X strictly G/F feels like it gives up a lot for relatively small gains. Being able to act aggressively on weaker hands with appropriate shape feels much more valuable (even if it comes at the cost of some failed 3NT contracts). If responder holds 4135 shape, stretching to double could easily win the part-score or even allow partner to save against their making game. Even if responder has a full strength double, 12 opposite 12 with flat hands and no heart stopper will struggle to make even 10 tricks in a minor. Finally if opener does have extra values and a long suit, an old-fashioned jump to 5m gets the message across just fine.

I agree with Cherdano that weak hands with a long spades should only double at low levels where there is a reasonable chance of patterning out your hand shape. Over 3H, holding a 6c spade suit you should either stretch to bid 3S with short hearts or pass and hope that partner can reopen.

#35 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-November-22, 02:48

I don't think the point on playing it GF is to restrict double, just to avoid aiming at a small target. What I mean is that you don't need to stop making agressive doubles, just that youw ill be playing game anyway. I don't know the full story as I gathered this info from third party, when Martens was training spannish team somewhere in between 1998 and 2002. A lot of time has passed so even changing his mind is possible.

#36 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-22, 06:42

Basically partners dble has comittted our side to 4S (unlikely they are passing 3) or 4 of a minor in terms of values. Facing 2 aces it sure looks like slam has a shot when they have a stiff H,which is not a sure thing. KQxx xx Qxx Axxx, and maybe (on a bad day) Kxxxx xx x AJxxx are a couple of examples. I believe at these colors the pre-emptr hold KQ to 7 and short D increasing the chances of a trump loser,or holding a black ace. Granted KQ to 7 and a side ace is rather good but possible. So in the end I pass and take the cash 800 is not out of the ballpark.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users