BBO Discussion Forums: To sit or not to sit? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To sit or not to sit?

Poll: To sit or not to sit? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you sit?

1. Pass (7 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. 1H (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. 1S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. XX (15 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-17, 16:16

MPs, P is good, opps are BBO randoms. What now?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-17, 18:21

Now 1.

Sure, you may make an overtrick or two in 1X. But you may also go 1-2 down for no good reason lol.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-17, 18:27

I am % 100 running but where I run depends on your 1m opening agreements and XX.

If XX is S.O.S (which is what I think it should be) I XX.

I open standard old school 1m, which is 1 from 3-3 and 1 from 4-4 and better minor. In this context 1 can be less than 4 in only one combination and that is when I hold 4-4 majors. I will redouble now and force pd to choose a major or NT. I will say sorry if 1 was our best place to play.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-19, 00:43

Against known strong opponents I would run.

My opinion of the average BBO random is low enough that I would take my chances.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-19, 01:34

Ideally you would want to bid 1 later, so as to have every chance to play the hand :)

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-November-19, 06:04

Pass, and this is a WTP.

XX is for money, if they want to get me, fine, but then they shouldpay me game,
if I make. lets see, if they have the nerves to sit it out.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-19, 06:07

Rdbl for money when pard might have 0 HCP? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me :)

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-November-19, 07:10

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-19, 06:07, said:

Rdbl for money when pard might have 0 HCP? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me :)

Maybe, but playing SOS with me is a lot worse.
We started to play weak NT, so the XX tends to show the strong NT, it allowes p
to compete further.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-19, 09:23

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2014-November-19, 07:10, said:

Maybe, but playing SOS with me is a lot worse.We started to play weak NT, so the XX tends to show the strong NT, it allowes p to compete further.

Dude...your pd passed 1. Who cares whether you have strong NT or not. He told you he does not even have a decent 4 hcp + a long major. I am not insisting on running from 1 but playing xx as showing a strong NT hand or anything other than S.O.S, when their take out double is converted to penalty is plain wrong. And who cares about what kind of NT you play anyway? OP would have mentioned it, had he played weak NT.

1 minor doubled contracts are more dangerous than 1 M. This conversion of double is also lead directing. It asks doubler to lead trump. do not expect to score ruffs in 1 with your entry rich dummy and lack of lead.

Do not expect pd to hold some tolerance just because he passed the double. At the time he passed he had no idea that it would be converted. People do not respond to 1m after double just incase it will be converted. Pd may open with a lot of hands that will backfire if you try to pre rescue each time they double 1m.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-19, 17:39

I am not playing XX as pain, but I am not sure that I have a rescue oriented hand. P probably has at least 3s and is unlikely to have a MAJ suit worth hearing about.

I don't know that I have high hopes for P, but I don't see that escaping is going to improve the situation.

This may be optimistic, but I rate partner to have 3+ s more often than not. And, with somewhat less certainty, LHO and partner hold clubs while RHO and P are relatively short in the MAJs.

If I am running, I am going to start with 1 since to run in the first place = short which = 4-4 in the MAJs. Therefore I need not risk confusion over the meaning of xx.

But again, if we are beat here (diamonds), we are beat there (MAJ) and they will find the best defense wherever we go.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-19, 18:30

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-17, 16:16, said:

XX (SOS) = 10,1 = 7, 1 = 6, Pass =5. Mr Ace's arguments work for me.

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-November-20, 10:58

Fred said here, many years ago, and he says it's not original with him: "If the opponents want to defend 1 of a minor, they're right."

I see nothing about this hand that makes this an exception - I expect to be very quickly playing 1NTx for 300 a trick - with the benefit that RHO has entries in the diamond suit she wouldn't have at 1NTx to lead through all my wonderful cards. I don't even have spots that will make me believe that I have a hope of two trump stoppers.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-20, 11:10

I bid 1 at the table, then thought I should have XXed (we had 7-card fits in both s and s, and ended up in 2X).

My worry with XX is the risk of P bidding 2. Presumably we'd also want to XX with the S3 in with the s, so he could be forgiven for bidding it with such as 3325, for eg. Perhaps he would even do it with 4315? Could we be 2443 or similar, esp if our suit is weak?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-20, 14:58

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-20, 11:10, said:

I bid 1 at the table, then thought I should have XXed (we had 7-card fits in both s and s, and ended up in 2X).

My worry with XX is the risk of P bidding 2. Presumably we'd also want to XX with the S3 in with the s, so he could be forgiven for bidding it with such as 3325, for eg. Perhaps he would even do it with 4315? Could we be 2443 or similar, esp if our suit is weak?

As I said it pretty much depends on your 1m opening structure. By XX you are telling pd that you do not want to play in diamonds. Whether this was a good decision or not does not matter after you redouble. In standard methods (although I am not sure what is standard nowadays) Most of the time you wanna run from 1 is when you hold 3 cards in this suit. And there is only 1 combo that opens 1 with 3, it is 4432. In that context I think pd should play you for 4-4 majors and if he bids 2 I will pass, thinking he has 6 of them.

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-22, 12:33

lol could be my diamond holding be any worse for 1dx?

a 5 point nige1 differential between xx and pass says it all.

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-November-24, 15:31

East has announced a stack against you. It could be something like KQJxx or KQxxxx, so you want to run. If XX is SOS, then this is the time to use it and pass whatever partner bids.

#17 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2014-November-25, 01:31

You can argue all you want. My experience is that if the opponents like the contract, I don't. Slide to 1 and try (as best you can on BBO) to read the opponents' reaction. I don't want the cheese. I just want out of the trap.

Realize, partner's Pass (to quote the late, great Bridge philosopher Gee) DNPA. If you Pass, the auction is over. If you redouble, wtf is partner supposed to do? What if he bids clubs? Try to regain control. It is more important, imo, to appear confident and to force the opponents make the next guess.

You tell me just how they can arrange to double me out in 1 and collect a telephone number even if it is theoretically available. Pard knows my suit is a 4-bagger, and he is supposed to know how to play. This is a classic dial-a-suit auction. Have a little faith.

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-November-25, 09:46

View Postrmnka447, on 2014-November-24, 15:31, said:

East has announced a stack against you. It could be something like KQJxx or KQxxxx, so you want to run. If XX is SOS, then this is the time to use it and pass whatever partner bids.

Maybe. And maybe not.
Sometimes, they pass out the T/O due to lack of a better place to run, this is
not an LOL action, it quite often is the best, concede -180, and move on.
Getting rich in trying to get them at the 1 level is not something you want
to do for a living. Maybe you beat the contract, but quite often 3NT your way
makes. They are red, we are green, fair enough, but you still need to beat the
contract -3 to show a real profit. 500 vs. 400 is only relevant at MP, at IMPs
I dont care.

Getting burned in 1Dx happens, that's why playing XX as SOS is not stupid, but it
does not happen as often as peoble in this thread claim, which means, playing XX as
SOS is not matadory.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-25, 19:31

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2014-November-25, 09:46, said:

Getting burned in 1Dx happens, that's why playing XX as SOS is not stupid, but it does not happen as often as peoble in this thread claim, which means, playing XX as SOS is not matadory.
Pass Pass 1 Double Pass Pass ??
It's barely possible that passing 1X could work but it's inconceivable that redouble could mean anything other than SOS.

#20 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-26, 06:53

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2014-November-25, 09:46, said:

Maybe. And maybe not.
Sometimes, they pass out the T/O due to lack of a better place to run, this is
not an LOL action, it quite often is the best, concede -180, and move on.
Getting rich in trying to get them at the 1 level is not something you want
to do for a living. Maybe you beat the contract, but quite often 3NT your way
makes. They are red, we are green, fair enough, but you still need to beat the
contract -3 to show a real profit. 500 vs. 400 is only relevant at MP, at IMPs
I dont care.

Getting burned in 1Dx happens, that's why playing XX as SOS is not stupid, but it
does not happen as often as peoble in this thread claim, which means, playing XX as
SOS is not matadory.

I disagree I dont think people pass 1X for no reason. They made a limited opening, partner doubled, next hand passed, you are broke. Putting this together I think there is a very good chance partner has some strong hand, (maybe even game in his hand). So bidding will give him a chance to describe it. Obviously with 2263 0 count you will probably pass because every other bid feels horrible, but other than some rare and specific hands passing 1X is taking a huge chance.

I agree that people dont pass 1mX very often. But the reason is that they need a very suitable hand to pass for penalties. And when they have it, its usually not a good idea to defend.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users