• You cannot reply to this topic

Clearly suit oriented, but...

#1 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-16, 16:38

IMPs.

2 could be 5 cards if two-suited below reverse.

3 now would be NF and 2 a relay (pard will give priority to bidding a 3 card spade).

So, whatz uz bidz?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 17:55

I bid whatever my gf bid is now.

if 2d so be it.

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 18:52

Is this an infomercial for the 2 relay?

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 19:15

Seriously, what else can you bid except 2 followed by 3 over 2?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-19, 03:21

Ok, so after 2 it goes:

1 1
2 2
2 3
3 ??

3 = values.

What now? 4 is NF.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-19, 09:03

3 NT.

Pd could not raise spades and he has an opener with no values. Yes he may hold a hand without having proper values in a red suit and we may be wide open in one of them, but he has a balanced hand most of the time. Do not afraid of the suit they did not bid. They may not lead it, they may not have enough tricks to beat it, they may block it.

I have no idea what kind of hand pd has that he skipped bidding a red suit over 3. AKJ Jx Qx Jxxxxx ? I am still playing 3 NT.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 09:47

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-16, 19:15, said:

Seriously, what else can you bid except 2 followed by 3 over 2?

Blasting 3nt over 2 isn't the worst gamble but should probably be saved for matchpoints.

Now that I've been disappointed by the lack of cooperation over there I think 4 is enough especially in a partnership that opens everything that's close.

We've marked the heart lead and partner turned down a chance to show any red suit feature. They can see the vul and I expect them to strain to bid game with a stiff heart.

ps, as per jogs below, the 3 bid is very suspicious a la AKQ, Jxxxx(x) and a stray Queen or stiff King or just a misbid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-November-19, 10:40

Looks like we have 9 tricks in NT. Only they may take 5 hearts tricks before we get in. Don't like our chances for 11 tricks.

Why did pard bypass 3 and 3 to bid 3? Don't want to be in 4 with AKQ facing xxxx.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-19, 15:41

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-November-19, 09:47, said:

Blasting 3nt over 2 isn't the worst gamble but should probably be saved for matchpoints.

Now that I've been disappointed by the lack of cooperation over there I think 4 is enough especially in a partnership that opens everything that's close.

We've marked the heart lead and partner turned down a chance to show any red suit feature. They can see the vul and I expect them to strain to bid game with a stiff heart.

ps, as per jogs below, the 3 bid is very suspicious a la AKQ, Jxxxx(x) and a stray Queen or stiff King or just a misbid.

Yes but this is IMP. What are you playing pd for? He obviously doesn't have an unbalanced hand, or with 3 card support + stiff + no red values, even my dog would have raised spades on 3 cards previous round.

So he either don't know how to bid his hand or has something similar to

AKJ Jx Qx Jxxxxx

Do you really want to bet your money on opponents having 5-3 + leading it? I don't see how is lead marked by the way. Why can't opener have a shape of 3415? Maybe he would bid 2 with that? Opponents do not see your hand and that you hold AKQx so that your pd can not possibly bid 2 with 5, do they? Hell, you switch the A to heart A and this time lead would be scary. I think we need to bid the game we are most likely to make at IMPs.

But there are a lot of things that does not add up to me. If opener has the hand that I constructed why did he not rebid 1 NT? If he had the unbalanced hand why did he not raise before with lack of values in both red suits? But even when he is unbalanced, there are hands where 3 NT is superior to 5 .

AQJ Qxx Q Jxxxxx ?

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-20, 08:19

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-19, 09:03, said:

I have no idea what kind of hand pd has that he skipped bidding a red suit over 3. AKJ Jx Qx Jxxxxx ?

Almost. Hands were:

Pard decided to emphasize spades, leaving North to guess whether he held a singleton heart or not.

For this reason, after 3 a 3 bid was perhaps more adequate, after which 3 by North (ask for 1/2 stop) would give South an easy 3NT. In practice hearts broke 4-4 so it was easy money.

Still, even playing the 2 relay the hand is not easy. Not playing that, it probably requires a flyer lol.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-20, 08:26

I think he should just rebid 1 NT instead of 2

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-20, 08:36

That is also a possibility, yes. And probably the easiest way out.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-November-20, 10:12

I had the opposite problem the other day

AK
J1098x
J10xx
KJ

1-2
??

I made the systemic 3 bid, and partner had no bid with Ax+AKQxx

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-20, 10:42

There is one school of thought that advocates bidding 2 on those hands, intending to bid support later. The same school also advocates

1x 2y
2x 3x (x>y)

as forcing, even if 2/1 is not a game force.

#15 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2014-November-20, 14:33

I'm a 2D bidder here. I rather not lie about my majors.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#16 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-November-20, 18:51

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-20, 10:12, said:

.... I made the systemic 3 bid, and partner had no bid with Ax+AKQxx

I don't understand your dialect here. In British English had no bid means he had a pass. In American English it would mean he had a dilemma. Here in Ohio we speak American, but English is usually understood.

#17 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-November-20, 19:27

View PostBillPatch, on 2014-November-20, 18:51, said:

I don't understand your dialect here. In British English had no bid means he had a pass. In American English it would mean he had a dilemma. Here in Ohio we speak American, but English is usually understood.

Fluffy is from Spain.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-20, 19:49

View PostBillPatch, on 2014-November-20, 18:51, said:

He meant pd did not have any good bid available over 3. He wants to cue but that will be support.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-November-21, 03:24

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-20, 10:42, said:

There is one school of thought that advocates bidding 2 on those hands, intending to bid support later. The same school also advocates

1x 2y
2x 3x (x>y)

as forcing, even if 2/1 is not a game force.

I was on the 2 rebid camp once... untill I did it with my father as partner, I went to bed without dinner for that :P

the 2x+ support I though by now was universal, I mean, even sayc players who know something use it as slam try.

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-21, 06:06

ahah.. lol

we'll show him, one day

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users