BBO Discussion Forums: Judgement check - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judgement check Bid slam or not?

Poll: Bid slam or not? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your view?

1. It's clear to bid slam (7 votes [17.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

2. It's clear to pass (23 votes [57.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

3. It's close. I might pass or bid slam. (10 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-16, 03:52

IMPs, Unfavourable vulnerability

1NT = 12-14. 3 = natural FG, typically a single-suited slam try
3 = values, some interest in playing in diamonds
The rest of the auction is cue bidding, 1st or 2nd round controls. If partner had bid 4NT instead of 5, that would have been RKCB.

What do you do now, and how obvious is it?

#2 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-16, 04:52

jallerton, on 2014-November-16, 03:52, said:

IMPs, Unfavourable vulnerability

3 = values, some interest in playing in diamonds
The rest of the auction is cue bidding, 1st or 2nd round controls. If partner had bid 4NT instead of 5, that would have been RKCB.

I don't have any working values that partner couldn't find with rkc so I pass. WTP?

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-16, 06:00

I don't think it's clear but purely on the fitting A opposite a singleton or K, I would bid on.

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 06:20

I can not be sure so I would have to pass. I do not see why you did not bid 5C rather than 4S which may have helped partner along the way. We can easily have a trick in each major to lose.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-16, 06:38

6D. Pd expressed interest in going on. I must admit that I do not understand your 4S bid. I think it is obvious to bid 6.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:23

Having shown AKXX QXX QXX QXX while actually holding AJXX QXX QXX AXX ---I do have a problem when Responder signs off.

Why did I do that?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:40

aguahombre, on 2014-November-16, 08:23, said:

Having shown AKXX QXX QXX QXX while actually holding AJXX QXX QXX AXX ---I do have a problem when Responder signs off.

Why did I do that?

You showed what your methods say you showed, as explained in the original post: 3 showed values in spades, and 4 showed control in spades. Presumably that could be a hand like QJxx xx Qxxx AKx, so 4 is necessary to show spade control.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:45

I think it's automatic to pass. I have only three diamonds, I don't have a doubleton, I have five points in queens and jacks, I have poor spots in my four-card suit, and partner didn't bid Keycard.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:51

gnasher, on 2014-November-16, 08:40, said:

You showed what your methods say you showed, as explained in the original post: 3 showed values in spades, and 4 showed control in spades. Presumably that could be a hand like QJxx xx Qxxx AKx, so 4 is necessary to show spade control.

That certainly answers all the objections above. It also looks like system has endplayed us to make our own decision over 5D with that Club Ace. I guess I don't have to like it...just cope. Would rather have been the one to cooperate with Responder's probes than be the Captain.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-16, 09:14

I find pard's auction inconsistent.. why no RKCB? Could it be that he thinks you have AKxx Qxx QJx xxx and fears spade wastage opposite his singleton?

Anyway, I'll pass, on grounds that when the player in control of slam sequences signs-off, he's supposed to have a reason for it.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 10:50

Why didn't partner use blackwood? is it because he is down opposite a 5 response?

No, it is not, because we have promised some diamond support, so at worst we will be on a 2-2 break.

Partner is limited, now the problem is, we don't know if his short is hearts or clubs. And they are very different. If it is hearts we are toasted, but even if it is clubs, there are gonna be 3 spade rounds, and we know partner doens't have KQ so at least one of them is missing. Also likelly 3 heart rounds will be played (maybe 2 if spades break 3-3, but we have the queen so third rounds is not the main problem) to take care off.

I think slam will be either hopeless, or on a spade finesse, best I can think we can grab is a 2 way finesse slam, something like Kxx AKx AJ9xxx x, rest of time it will be below 50%.

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 16:39

If what P wanted was the As, he could have bypassed that suit when cueing, so I doubt he has a source of tricks there. I'm not so convinced he's not afraid of a 2 response, though.

Would we be expected to bid 3N over 3 with AKx xxx Jx Axxxx, for eg? Even if at worst we are on a 2-2 split, perhaps from his perspective it's at best on a 3-3 split or finesse, for eg (say KTx KJ9 AKxxxx x), so punting when he could include you in the decision doesn't seem great. But Fluffy's comments seem pretty sound to me otherwise.

I dunno. Doesn't seem at all clear to me. It would help to know more about the negative inferences. What did 4 show? Might responder have a five card suit? Could he have shown a 4-card side suit if he had one? Did he tank for ages then make careful eye contact when he bid 5?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-16, 17:11

Jinksy, on 2014-November-16, 16:39, said:

I dunno. Doesn't seem at all clear to me.

Hang on a second. We're forgetting something here.

Who is partner? Is he an active or passive player?

If he can bid properly and is an active player, he'll probably have a reason to sign-off.
If, on the other hand, he's the kind of person who's afraid of making decisions, just push it to slam because he's is too chicken to do it himself.
Finally, if he's some crazy mathematician who likes to complicate what is simple, just bid 6NT. At least you'll be playing it LOL.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-16, 17:27

whereagles, on 2014-November-16, 17:11, said:

Hang on a second. We're forgetting something here.

Who is partner? Is he an active or passive player?

If he can bid properly and is an active player, he'll probably have a reason to sign-off.
If, on the other hand, he's the kind of person who's afraid of making decisions, just push it to slam because he's is too chicken to do it himself.
Finally, if he's some crazy mathematician who likes to complicate what is simple, just bid 6NT. At least you'll be playing it LOL.

It says "Expert-Class Bridge" at the top of the page. So he's an expert.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 20:09

I just tried to simulate hands in my head and gave pd some hands, as I would do at the table.I first checked the hands where he has a singleton. Gave him singles in all other suits.

x Axx AKJxxx Kxx
Kxx x AKJxxx Kxx
Kxx Axx AKJxxx x

Slam is not promising in those hands, #1 is almost hopeless, #2 needs a lot of good things, #3 is not any better than others, despite the fact that pd himself could drive to slam with those control rich and unbalanced hands perhaps. I suspect he is more likely to hold a semi balanced hand like 6322, which things get worse for the slam even with some extra hcps.

Qx Ax AKJxxx Kxx
Qxx Ax AKJxxx Kx
xx Axx AKJxxx Kx

Again, these are all control rich hands and pd could have RKCB himself, even though the hands I generated in my head shows, required key card formula would not help partner. All of these hands hold enough keycards for the slam. I think we have a lot of legit reasons to pass his 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-16, 20:47

jallerton, on 2014-November-16, 03:52, said:

IMPs, Unfavourable vulnerability.

3 = values, some interest in playing in diamonds.

IMO, 6 = 10, Pass = 9. Mr Ace's examples scare me. But partner knows what a weak notrump opening shows and he's made 2 slam-tries. Although your hand has a dull shape, you're near maximum in high cards, with 2 aces and Q. The trump Q is no ordinary quack. Partner may have been reluctant to use RKC when 2 key-cards would take him above 5 e.g.
x x A K K J x x x x x K x

#17 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 21:04

Partner does not have a singleton spade in this auction given that his interest seems only to be mild yet didn't just bid 3NT over 3S. That suggests that he does have spade values himself. So what else might he be concerned about? I assume that 4D showed a diamond honour (what would 4S over 4C have implied?). However the only hands I can come up with that are consistent with the auction are hands such as Kx x AJTxxxx KQx where partner is just hoping we have 3 key cards, yet can't ask in fear of a 5H response. With all that in mind, I pass, but do think it's close.
Wayne Somerville

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-17, 00:35

I pass

3 showed some diamond interest and I made room for his heart cue, then bid 4, so I doubt that I could have a hand that looked less slamming than this one.
does.

I think that in these auctions, partner doesn't promise the moon for his calls...he needs us to feel that our hand meshes well, and it really doesn't....at least no more than we have implied. Yes, we hold 3 working cards, but our auction suggests something akin to that already. No ruffing value, no Q with our Aces, so no combined honours.

In sum...a medium hand for a diamond slam and we have bid it that way and should now respect partner's willingness to shut this down when we lack a good hand for a diamond slam.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-17, 01:24

gnasher, on 2014-November-16, 17:27, said:

It says "Expert-Class Bridge" at the top of the page. So he's an expert.

Sure. But even experts have personalities. Unless, of course, you only consider as "expert" someone who has all-around skills.

#20 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-17, 01:59

I think it's clear to bid the slam. I presume partner has failed to use key-card because he has a void and whether it is in hearts or clubs I have a suitable hand. If it is in spades then he must be even stronger and my heart queen should be enough.

I'd be much more confident in this analysis if he could have bid 4 as key-card over 3. And although I think it's clear, it would take me some time to do it at the table.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users