BBO Discussion Forums: Double? Overcall 1NT or even Pass? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double? Overcall 1NT or even Pass?

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-November-14, 09:21

My partner held this hand and doubled for take-out. At the time I thought he should have overcalled 1NT but now I am re-considering.

Our opponents were playing Acol 12-14 no trump. This means that the 1 opening promises at least 4. If a 4 carder the hand will have 15-19 points unless some 4441's. Otherwise it will be a 5+ carder. So the odds favour 5 or more cards in opps club suit.

Overcalling 1NT without a stop now has big disadvantages. If partner does have a club stop we will be wrong siding the contract so it is likely that a no trump contract will be poor.

Thoughts?

Then again after you double what do you do if partner bids 2? 3? 2?

Thoughts?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 10:11

1 NT all day, any day.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-14, 10:46

View Post'Wackojack" timestamp=, on 2014-November-14, 09:21, said:

My partner held this hand and doubled for take-out. At the time I thought he should have overcalled 1NT but now I am re-considering. Our opponents were playing Acol 12-14 no trump. This means that the 1 opening promises at least 4. If a 4 carder the hand will have 15-19 points unless some 4441's. Otherwise it will be a 5+ carder. So the odds favour 5 or more cards in opps club suit. Overcalling 1NT without a stop now has big disadvantages. If partner does have a club stop we will be wrong siding the contract so it is likely that a no trump contract will be poor. Thoughts? Then again after you double what do you do if partner bids 2? 3? 2? Thoughts?
IMO Double = 10, Pass = 9, 1N = 8. For the reasons explained by Wackojack (of which LHO will also be aware). It would be different if RHO played some weird canapé system like 2/1 where 1 is often bid on a 3-card or even 2-card suit. Double can create problems on the next round but double never promises 4+ cards in each of the other suits.

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-14, 10:11, said:

1 NT all day, any day.
If RHO had opened 1 (playing 2/1) would Mr Ace still overcall 1N with the black suits reversed?

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 10:53

I original thought "1NT, any day, all day." Then, I read the conditions in the OP. Close, IMO between Double and Pass with my 16 working count; but "working" for what? Might choose to let this one go. Then I won't have to answer the OP's follow-up questions after I Doubled.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-14, 11:01

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-14, 10:46, said:

If RHO had opened 1 (playing 2/1) would Mr Ace still overcall 1N with the black suits reversed?

Dunno about him, but I might.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-14, 13:01

I also think 1N is pretty clear. pass looks so weedy and X looks all wrong
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-14, 15:34

@Aguaman: You are correct, I did not read carefully the conditions given by OP.

@Nige1: No I would not overcall 1 NT over 1 with black suits reversed.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 19:24

I would double. As for the follow ups, at IMPS I would bid 3C over 2H or 2C. I would pass 3H. At matchpoints I would probably pass 2H, otherwise the same actions.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-November-14, 21:47

Still 1N for me
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 03:40

It seems like a partnership Q to me. I would double with most Ps, because most of my Ps would assume I have a stop for 1N, and raise straight to three with such as xxx xx AKJTxxx x, or just a smattering of points few of which are in the C suit.

If I'm playing with someone who I know will allow for me bidding 1N on hands like this, then I'll bid it.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-November-15, 04:02

Hi,

X, I dont like 1NT, but it is ok.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2014-November-15, 07:15

A 1NT overcall should always carry a stopper in the ops bid suit. You have 16HCPs, 2 tens, 3 cards in both majors, so dbl. is the only sensible bid. Trying to work out hand distributions and from what side a hand should be played when only 1 player has bid is not logical. As for passing with this hand...enough said.

The hand does not have shortness in the ops. suit but it does have extra values to compensate.

#13 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-November-15, 08:15

My thoughts if I had this hand:

Overcall 1NT?
With Acol 12-14, RHO is very likely to have an unbalanced hand with 5 or more clubs. However, since I have ♣Jxx, even ♣Qx with partner will be a stop. If partner has a 5 card major he will transfer and we will find our fit. If partner has game values and a 4 card major he will, bid 2♣ and finding no 4 card major will bid 3NT. Say we do have a club stop. Then we need 8 top tricks to cash. This looks like a reasonable chance.

Double:
If partner has a 4 card major and no good stop in clubs as is likely, then we will be playing in a 4-3 major suit fit. IIf partner has a 5 card major all will be well in regard to the strain, but we need a good understanding of what strength is needed to bid 2, 2♥ or 3♥.

My conclusion: When partner has a 5 card major it will be much easier to gauge the contract level if partner overcall 1NT. When partner has a 4 card major there is still a good chance of no trumps playing better.

To those that do choose double: 2♣, 2♥, 3♥ what will these bids be showing and what action do you take?

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 10:25

Tough hand in that anything could work or not.

The exception imo is 1nt. I've never played twice with a partner who loses the first 5 tricks (clubs here) after I bounced to 3nt.

Double then 2M by partner probably has game values but no idea if it's a doomed 4-3. Anything higher and game should be ok.

Pass could be good if partner balances with a major showing 5 but if they balance with a double you are in the same boat. If lho responds you can most often double next time and either bump them up or land in a safe level partscore. Maybe a better strategy at mp's than imps?

I would flip a coin on those 2 options.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-15, 11:08

Say our club holding was qxx we could still lose first 5 tricks or whatever. Non expert view but think 1n is beyond clear
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#16 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 13:50

View Posteagles123, on 2014-November-15, 11:08, said:

1n is beyond clear

To each his own but "beyond clear" is an overbid when 1 almost always shows 5. I'll lean your way if it's 2 or 3 plus though.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-November-15, 13:55

The way I viewed it, if 3N our way is the right spot, then overcalling 1N is likely to get you there where all other actions are much less likely to do so.

Furthermore, if we have game on our way, then 3N is heavy favourite to be the best of them.

If partner has no game interest then I am not too bothered about them cashing a few clubs against 1N, on which I can pitch losers until they let me in.

So the question for me is, am I going unilaterally to give up on 3N with my first call over 1C? Yes, I agree with the risks, and you could certainly have a better hand for 1N, but for me it remains the best of a bad bunch of options.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-November-15, 18:24

I play that the X promise 4 hearts so I pass and wait.

#19 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 19:01

View Posteagles123, on 2014-November-15, 11:08, said:

Say our club holding was qxx we could still lose first 5 tricks or whatever. Non expert view but think 1n is beyond clear

Err..... does not "beyond clear" in modern jargon mean "more than clear"? This accords with your previous post saying "pretty clear" Then you talk about losing the first 5 tricks.

Perhaps I misunderstand and you meant to say that replace our Jxx with Qxx then if partner has nothing we can still lose the first 5 tricks. As said earlier Qx opposite Jxx is frozen.

#20 User is offline   AreyHakaal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-15, 22:57

A smooth PASS.There are almost 8 losers and does that Jack of clubs really count? The distribution is not good enough to make a take out double.However if partner does play the '"escape bids " when LHO makes a penalty double then I will certainly overcall 1NT.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users