Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantunes 1 Major opening

#1 User is offline   nrd 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 04:38

In Fantunes Revealed there are specified three ranges of 1M opening: 11-13, 14-17 and 18+. 1M-2c-2d = 4+ in other major and range 11-13/14 or 18+ while with 15-17 and 54M's you need to jump to 3 other major, which seems to be a huge waste of bidding space. I can't believe this is an efficient method but I could't investigate on VG how Fantoni-Nunes play. Do you have any ideas how to improve this sequences and is it necessary to do it. Playing Fantunes based on Jacob's book we had few bad boards after 1M-2c-3OM as you bidding is very high.

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 05:52

My partnership is basically alone among Fantunes players in this, but we keep 1M opening bids up to strength (ie a K stronger than usual - '14+' implies a distributional hand with decent quality suits), which means we can have sedate and mostly natural 2/1 auctions.

The downside is obviously having to open 2M on hands with both majors, but we've recently mitigated this (about 3 days ago) by using our 2N opening to show 5+s, 5+(s or s) with the playing strength of an opening 2-bid.

The (54)M 10-13-point hands are still a weakness in the system, but it's rare for them to cost dearly. Meanwhile, we get to bid a few games that I'd expect the rest of the field to miss when they don't learn about opener's 5th heart (and prevent a few good sacs by the opps).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-20, 11:37

I don't think Jacobs recommends rebidding 3OM with 15-17 points and 5M + 4OM (though I don't have the book with me at the moment). My Fantunes partnership rebids 2D after 1M - 2C with this shape with 15-7 points as well as other ranges, and keeps the 3OM bid for hands with extra shape as well as 15-7 points.

#4 User is offline   bjacobs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-December-06, 16:24

Yes, my idea was that 1S-2C-3H was a middling hand, with 5-5 shape. It's consistent with the principles of Gazzilli, in which jump rebids show distribution in a narrow range of strength.

1H-2C-3S would be a rare 5-6 shape.

This is entirely optional, no particular reason to play it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users