Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Standalone (Win) Logon Problem

#1 User is offline   vdhagen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 03:14

I wanted to help a friend with his BBO access. His WiFi internet connection is not very fast, so I installed the Bridge Base Online Client (Win) 5.2.6. I could log on and play on his computer.

- I could not create a new member ID with the client 5.2.6. After I created a new ID via http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php
- I could not login with client 5.2.6 because the "program is too old"

Is there a way to solve this?

Francois

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 04:47

This is deliberate. The standalone client is deprecated, so new accounts can't use it.
Note that from a networking perspective, the newer client actually takes less bandwidth.

#3 User is offline   vdhagen 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-14, 09:11

It takes less bandwidth?? With the web-interface on my friend's computer I can only see the ads being regularly updated. I don't get to the login. With the standalone client I can actually play (with my old account)!

Francois

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-14, 09:57

View Postvdhagen, on 2014-November-14, 09:11, said:

It takes less bandwidth?? With the web-interface on my friend's computer I can only see the ads being regularly updated. I don't get to the login. With the standalone client I can actually play (with my old account)!

Yes, it takes less bandwidth. The old client downloads ALL the logged in users, and receives frequent updates about all logins and logouts. The web client only gets lists of friends, hosts, stars, and players/kibbitzers at your current table. It doesn't need the rest because it doesn't have a "lobby" display.

The only time when there's more bandwidth used is the very first time that you use the application, as it has to download the Flash code for it. But then gets cached and shouldn't use much bandwidth (until a version update).

If the web app isn't working, it's some other problem, possibly a firewall issue. Contact support@bridgebase.com, they should be able to help you.

#5 User is offline   Pertinax 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-December-03, 01:25

Except that you can no longer download the Windows client, and they have blocked the creation of new accounts using it.

So while there is still a community of Rubber Bridge players in the Relaxed Room nobody else can see it or join it so it will dwindle and die. Which is a shame because Vanderbilt's game is a fun card game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users