BBO Discussion Forums: Lead out of turn accepted or not - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead out of turn accepted or not Anywhere

#1 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2014-November-14, 00:30

South is declarer. East thought she was on lead and asked round the table whether it is her turn. North replied "Yes it's yours" BUT she was referring to something irrelevant. Earlier during the bidding, East had unfortunately lent a bidding card to North and North was telling East that "Yes, that 1 spade bidding card is yours."

East, as Murphy dictates, has already faced the opening lead.

Law references? The players decided to settle it themselves and roll back the lead without any penalty to either side. My intuition tells me this is fair, but what would have been the proper way to do it?

Edit: In official terms, I meant to say, the players suggested that to save time they would just recommend the waiving off of any rectification. As Director I approved L81C5 but I am still interested to know what is the correct way to do it.

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 02:20

Xiaolongnu, on 2014-November-14, 00:30, said:

South is declarer. East thought she was on lead and asked round the table whether it is her turn. North replied "Yes it's yours" BUT she was referring to something irrelevant. Earlier during the bidding, East had unfortunately lent a bidding card to North and North was telling East that "Yes, that 1 spade bidding card is yours."

East, as Murphy dictates, has already faced the opening lead.

Law references? The players decided to settle it themselves and roll back the lead without any penalty to either side. My intuition tells me this is fair, but what would have been the proper way to do it?

Edit: In official terms, I meant to say, the players suggested that to save time they would just recommend the waiving off of any rectification. As Director I approved L81C5 but I am still interested to know what is the correct way to do it.

Law 47E1 said:

A lead out of turn (or play of a card) may be retracted without further rectification if the player was mistakenly informed by an opponent that it was his turn to lead or play. A lead or play may not be accepted by his LHO in these circumstances.

So if East genuinly understood North's "Yes it's yours" as a reply to her question if if was her turn (to lead) then her lead is retracted without further rectification. The fact that North replied to something different is completely irrelevant.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 08:53

I think, in spite of the fact that technically these players "got it right" this time, you need to explain to them that they are not allowed to make their own rulings at the table (Law 10A, which refers to 81C5); if they need a ruling they should call the director. If you don't explain this, sooner or later it will bite you. They'll make a "ruling", screw it up, and with much wailing and gnashing of teeth ask you to unscrew it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users